Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something not rite ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Okay I have a 10blt front that came with the cheapo plastic warn hubs. They worked fine but I wanted the primo hubs so I bought them. I asked last week if I could just swap the caps, people told me yes but that didn't work. So I went ahead and put in the "hub assembly" that came in the good hub kit. So they went in fine. Got the big "retaining" ring the holds the assembly in back in. Now the snap ring that goes over the outer shaft will not go back on. When I compaired the old assembly with the new the center part that fits over the outer shaft is longer/deeper so it covers up the groove the snap ring is supposed to go in. So I just left it (the snap ring) off and put the new cap on and it works fine put is this a no-no or what? It seems that the snap ring and "retaining" ring are doing the same thing put I don't know any help would be great!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

the sxle probly just slid into the carrier some. You can pry it out by pushing the axle u-jiont away from the center of the axle. I had to do this when i changed mine out. I wouldnt run it with out the retaner on it.

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

When i get my Warn hubs, It said on the box that some axles wont take the snap ring. I pryed on the shaft and I couldnt make it fit.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i never had one on mine.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Use your big screwdriver on the U-joint (hangin out in the breeze) and click it outboard. Get a second pair of hands if you need to. You'll be able to get the snap ring on.:D

6. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have this weird problem with my cheapo Warn hubs....I wheel, unlock them and drive home, go out to the parking lot a few days later, check everything over, unlock them again and go inside. Few days later go outside and start wrenching....unlock hubs again and go inside. A few more days go by and I decide to go for a drive. Stop at parts store and have to unlock them again. Maybe I should get the Premiums too? :D

Kids drive me nuts.:haha:

7. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answers so far, anybody else encounter this problem??

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you have that problem too?

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

it could possibly be something like the 35 spline+warn premium d60 guys sometimes run into. there isn't enough clearance between the end if the stub axle and the back of the lockout dial. the friction causes occasional engagement of the hub. just another angle i suppose.