Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something weird

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rerun93, Mar 7, 2005.

1. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i went to the gas station after driving 1 hour on the freeway put gas in. and my truck wouldnt start. was running great right before. filled it up with gas. it sounded like it wanted to start but i was lackin fuel. then i pumped it a bunch then it sounded like it was flooded for a second then back to sounded like it was starving fuel. waited like 4 minutes then it started up. now i just replaced my control module so i dont think that would be the thing. and it runs awesome besides this. now when i need to start it i have to pump the gas pedal a crap load. like the pressure is not holding up the line or something. any ideas?on why it didnt want to stat( it wasnt flooded casue i know how it acts when it is. i did it alot with my other carb.)and what keeps the pressure up on the carb so i dont have to pump the gas like a mad man.

ty
    ReRuN

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

remove your gas cap and try that
    vapor lock
    your choke is on
    vac leak
    do you have the carb heat hooked up and is it working properly
    and it is possible for your module to be bad if it isn't brand name.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Considering that you just got off the freeway, and everything was nice and hot, my bet is for vapor lock in a fuel line somewhere. If a line is routed close to something hot, the fuel inside can vaporize, the fuel pump pumps air and no fuel. The line or heat source needs to cool off before the fuel can flow through the line again. Thats why it started again after some time, it had time to cool off. When fuel was flowing through the line while you were driving, it was moving fast enough to be unaffected by the heat. When you stopped to get gas, the fuel sat in the line, or wherever, heated up till it vaporized, and voila, vaporlock. The exact same thing has happened to me. Out wheelin once a couple years ago, in the middle of a hill waaay to steep for a sick q-jet in need of rebuild. It was close to 90*, the engine was nice and hot. The carb choked and stalled the truck in the middle of that hill. I had to try to manuaver the truck into a safe spot backed up against a tree so I didn't roll to the bottom of the hill and kill myself. Then got out to try to figure out what was goin on...when I got back in, it wouldn't start. I got back out and hiked to the top of the hill and used the cell phone to call for help. When help arrived and we got back to the truck, it started right up and I made it to the top of the hill. I had no idea wtf was going on at the time. Wasn't till later when I figured it out. :)
    Anyways, try replacing your fuel pump. They're cheap, and yours prolly hasn't been changed in awhile. :D

4. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

well i dont think it would be vapor lock as i stoped off the freeway to get gas. and i filled it up. choke was not on i looked. vaccum lines were all replaced about 2 months ago. iam afraid if it does it again i will ahve to replace the control module with something better than neihoff, other than that iam pretty much stumped. i think it was for sure caused by the heat though. since it has not done it since.

ty for your help

rerun