Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something went wrong

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 15, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I found out why my truck died on me the rotor and the dist cap had been torn apart and melted on the insde I replaced both of them and the spark plugs. But is i the coil that casued this to happen. If so what do I need to fix it. And if it wasnt the coil what could it have been then?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One of our best co. mechanics once told me that if there's a problem with with your secondary igntion system(coil/ignition module, cap, rotor, wires, plugs), the best thing to do is to replace EVERYTHING at the same time.

I'm still not sure if you have a coil or a module? Which one is it?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. JimmyJuneau

Where do the wires go after they leave the coil on the dist cap?

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

how bad were the plugs? how bad are the wires? If these are to the point that the electricity cannot get through then the 20,000-40000 volts or whatever it is has nowhere to go and will melt your cap and rotor. It probably melted right were the rotor touches the cap...or no?

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

5. JimmyJuneau

Yes it did The plugs were fouled so I changed them. The wires are good. The truck is running now but I wanna know if I have to change the coil or what happened to the coil in order to this to happen.

1985 GMC JIMMY