Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something wrong w/ new alternator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by angrysnowplow, Feb 8, 2002.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Just got finished putting in a new alternator. Started the thing up and let it run for about a minute- shut it off and the top of the alternator where the fan is was REAL hot. Should it have gotten that hot that fast? I don't want to drive it until I'm sure whats going on(already had 1 alt fire- in a f*rd but still no fun)
    Thanks

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

NEVER replace an alternator without charging the battery.
    i dont know if you did this or not nor am i implying you did
    it puts a BIG load on your alternator
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

um yeah you want to charge your battery completely before you run your alternator

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

4. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

DAMMIT!!! Wish I had known that a couple hours ago. It did only run for a minute- think it'll be ok if I charge the batt? I'm guessing I'll need to figure a way of getting another from the parts store though
    thanks for answering

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yes your alternator should be fine
    it would be no different than if you left your lights on and the battery went dead and you had someone jump start it and then let the alternator charge the battery. I have on many occasions used the alternator to charge my boat battery on the way to teh landing. juust start the truck pull out the good bat and stick in the dead one and head to the landing. 3o min later the boat starts right up, and charges it the rest of the way

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's