Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

something wrong with truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, May 23, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

Apr 26, 2002
    I've got an 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 208, 350, 400 turbo. Sometimes when I go to stop all of a sudden the truck acts like it's in neutral. I can hear some chattering like gears trying to grab. To get it to move and go back into gear, I have to shift into neutral then go from 2hi to 4hi, to engage 4wd, then shift it back out to 2hi. Then pull it back to drive and it's fine again. It only does it if i'm going fast and slow down quickly then go to take off. It doesn't do it all the time but it is very annoying. Could this be the shifter linkage? The tranny shifts fine and the transfer case seems okay. I'm not running a front drive shaft and have a trailmaster 6" lift with 35" tires. I know that the linkage needs to be adjusted because when I shift from park to drive it kinda shifts hard.
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Try adjusting the linkage on the transfer case.Iit sounds like you are not fully engaging it in 4 hi and it is poping into nuteral when you let off the gas