Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Something you should consider carrying...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Jun 17, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Had a very bad experience today on my way home from work. Had a great time at our base's air show, did my crewchief thing for the family in the crowd, saw lots of cool air hardware, and scooted before the storm clouds got too ugly. Cruising down the turnpike around 70 with the windows down, suddenly I can't see from my left eye due to the pain and tears from something impacting my wide-open eyeball! Managed to get to the shoulder w/o killing myself or anyone else, now I can't get whatever is invading my eye socket out. It finally worked itself out thru the tears streaming from that eye and revealed itself to be a godd@mn PEBBLE!! So, I'm going to get a portable eyewash bottle to keep in the glovebox or console. Think about stopping to do a quick trail repair, then it turns into a nightmare because you or someone else got debris or a chemical in their eyes...
    You can probably get one at a good medical supply store, or a safety gear vendor online (northernsafety.com, labsafety.com, others)

It's a suggestion based on my own bad experience, so think about it...Stay safe, folks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It happened to me once, and when something happens to your eye it's a BIG deal! I have a bottle of eye wash out stuff in the console.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good quality,tight fitting safety glasses would take care of the trail repair portion of the program. 6 or 7 bucks buys a good set. 2 weekends ago, a steel sliver came off the grinder and got past my regular glasses,(no side shields). I am now a believer. My shop teacher wasn't as dumb as I thought.

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

89Jimmy, you're absolutely right. That's why I started wearing them a few months back and swear by them now. Unfortunately, not everyone does. So I'll be prepared, so those who aren't can be forever grateful to me! j/k

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I work in a metals shop and get something in my eye about once a year even with safety glasses. First step we take is to wash the eye out with saline, then if it's still there, we take a little magnet designed for that and trace the eyeball with it. Not too bad of an experience, but if it's still in there we have to go to the doc and let him try. The sorry thing is sometimes it still stings even after its out of your eye because it scratches the surface. So it's hard to know if it's still in there or not. Last year I even got to wear a patch on my eye for 2 days while my eye healed. FUN FUN.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

Oh Yeh, That sounds like it hurt.....I usually wear safety glasses as suggested. But, I feel for ya man!!!

Ray

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Kinda` like the time a bee bounced off the mirror straight into my mouth. Man that thing stung me on the tip of my tounge. I could not talk clearly for almost two days. Of course my friends had a good laugh at that one.