Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

****..... somethins fried.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I hooked up a charger/starter to my battery and let it sit for a few minutes on start then fired it up to check my idle and something popped and started smokin. It stayed running until i killed it after about 3 seconds except now i have no power at all... no headlights, nothin. the charger was hooked up to the battery when i started it. my dad tells me i can blow an alternator doing this but in this case the alternator is not the problem. I hooked up another battery and still got nothing so i know its not the battery.

would it still run if i blew a fusible link after it started? My battery cable was arking so i'm starting to think the cable went bad somehow but i don't know if you can fry a cable like that...

help me out brothers

:bow: :ears: :doah: :dunno: :1zhelp: :thinking:

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you hooked the charger up backwards to me. Start checking fuses and wires.

3. chief77

chief77 Registered Member

was it a 12/24v charger if so you may have had it on the wrong voltage???

chief77 :k5: :usaflag:

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

sorry i forgot to say all the fuses check out.... the charger has a reverse hook up light that never went on but its a pos. I'm pretty sure it was red on red and black on black but the pausitive cable on the charger wasn't quite on all the way because the clamp is bent and i think it may have jumped when it started, sparked and then that was it... I can't figure out what i burnt up. If i blew a fusible link would i still have power? If its not the link could i burn up a battery cable like that? the black cable was the one that was sparking when i move it.

its a 12v... i've used it hundreds of times over the years and never had a problem like this....

soon as i get the damn thing running i get to play what did i cook.... gotta love it. :weld: :angry1::doah: :1zhelp: :haha:

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you hooked it up wrong, you would've known immediately...

sounds like you fried a battery cable..

where did the smoke come from?

you can take a test light to pos starter lug and see if its getting juice to that point.. i'd pull the positive feed to the starter off, check the lugs on it and resistence... good time to put some real cable in there...

if good, probably the fusable link between starter and firewall..

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

cool... i'll get a voltage meter on monday.

thanks for the help.:thumb: :waytogo:

the smoke came from the battery... right around the cable i think i fried but i was in the cab so i didn't see it until it was done smoking.

7. JSH

JSH Registered Member

8. ryoken

your welcome...

you probably cooked the first couple inchs on the positive or ground..

on the cheap, cut it back to good wire and relug..

right way, get some larger new cable and replace. get the good solder on lugs if possible.. those and a propane torch and your golden...

doing battery cable lugs correctly is an often overlooked item and if your ends wheren't stock, it may have been the cause..

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Not questioning you just want to be sure before i cut it up....

if the negative was sparking when i move it does that mean pausitive ground is fried?

10. ryoken

if you jiggle the cable and its sparking, theres your prob..

you should be able to cut it back a bit and relug it..

are yours sidemounts? they're evil....

mine are the factory sidemounts.. i made sure when i got a new battery in there that it was duel purpose, side and top post.. when i get around to putting beefy cable in, i'll go to the top post with some real lugs on the cable. not the stupid 5/16's side cr*p...

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i used to have sidepost but i got two heavy duty top posts from my moms boyfriend so i went down to autozone and got the side to top post lugs for 4 bucks...

sounds like im cutting the cable... I want to check my idle after i got the tv cable and throttle cable hooked up right. From there its on to tac installation.

a labtop, a prominator and an aldl cable and im in business after a year and a half of riding my dirtbike and bike everywhere.

forgot how much i missed that thing....:saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :k5: :k5: :k5:

12. ryoken

my fuel pump went monday in the snowstorm... started to bike to the parts store the next morn and it was freezing out. said scr*w that, turned around and called a cab to run me down there.. it was well worth the $20....

i'll be doing ALDL shortly myself... got Wraenking working on a laptop for me...

13. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

"usually" if it is sparking that means something is drawing current.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if the battery cables are any good. Then go from there by checking the fusable links. Your starter can be stuck too, just a thought.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

well i just cut it about 4 inches and hooked it all back up after cleaning all the surfaces with wd40 and a wire brush and i melted the post on the battery... soon as i touched the cable to the post it sparked like a mother ****er and burn the hell out of my hand as well as taking a pretty sizable chunk out of the post. First time i ever soldered with my battery cable...:grin:

what the hell is wrong?

im stumped...

somebody said they blew the fusible link and had power so it that couldn't be the problem.

I CAN'T put it on the post because something is seriously f*cked up.

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Unhook the big wire from the back of the alternator, and try touching the cable to the battery post again. Sounds like you have a short in the alternator.

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

damn i would be lost without this site.... thanks man.:bow: :thumb:

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

still got fireworks... except now i got lead melted to my arm from the blast. this sucks....:mad:

18. ryoken

next step will be to get down to the starter.. check to make sure your battery lead isn't touching any ground down there, casing, block, etc.. they sometimes get shifted around on the post. then disconnect that and try the ground again with it off..

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, check for continuity between your hot cable and ground cable. If that checks out ok, then check for continuity between the large stud on the starter and ground. If you don't have a meter, then I would remove the hot cable and visually inspect it for burnt spots. If the cable checks out ok, then the next culprit is the starter. Do you have a spare starter to try inplace of the one presently installed.

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I can get a voltage meter on monday. I dont' know if thats the same thing but i bet i could get either from my brothers work.

what do you mean by "hot cable"?

I'll go see what i can find out.

what would go on the starter? the solenoid or the whole thing? I have an extra solenoid but not a starter.

If i took the starter wires and put them together and either did or didn't have power that would tell me if the starter is bad right?