Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sometimes I hate my Life, Saga of the Bronco II

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 5, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I just got SCREWED on a job, and its all my own fault. :doah:

Dad's buddy brought his Bronco II over, complaining of a miss and it was puking oil from somewhere(so covered we just couldn't determine where). Well I tore off the intake and tried to find the source of the look but just couldn't. I checked compression on 2 of the 3 cylinders on the offending side. Both fine when compared to the opposite bank. So I just through on intake gaskets.

Well it hasn't gotten back to running yet. Been pounding my head against the wall against what I think is a timing issue. So I finally went to reset the distributor(TDC #1 and all that), and when I tried to feel for compression stroke... nothing. Dad felt, samething. I ran to work and got my compression gauge, NOTHING. The cylinder is dead. No compression, wet or dry test. ****!!!! The ONE cylinder on that side I didn't test and sure enough, its got a bad something there. If its a head gasket (which it most likely is), I ****ed up. If its a bent valve or worn out rings, I still ****ed up but not as bad. Damnit.

Worst thing is, I stopped and said to myself, "If I were at work doing this to a customers car, would I have checked all 6 cylinders???" Answer - YES!! I hate myself sometimes. I am not making much money on this job(more of a favor than anything) and its taking WAY WAY more time than its worth to me, but it has to get done. Thats all fine and dandy, but the worst thing is, I have 3 other side jobs, all of which will pay VERY well in comparison, that I need to get done ASAP, and I have to put all of them off until this one is done.

Damn my luck, and stupidity. Ok just needed to vent. I'm sure some of you can relate to this crap. On a bright note, I am in a much better mood than I was 2 hours ago. I whipped the intake off in 1 hour, vs the 3 it took me the first time around. It always improves my mood when I better my skills on something.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Screw it dude it's a Bronco 2. A can of gas and a match should solve any problems it might still have...........

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mee too

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats what one of the guys at work said. "Its a Bronco II right?" 'Yea' "Junk it"

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Meh, I've done it. Trying to go too fast..just like those times you follow the troubleshoot steps but skip a few because "that can't be it." I've had VSS wires routed too close to the flywheel making the speedo randomnly go crazy when it hits the RPM just right..had air compressor drives break in the middle INSIDE THE COMPRESSOR so it doesn't turn the fuel pump on the end of it and creates a no start problem.

Chit happens, all you can do is apologize and fix it right.

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

you could tell him to take the pos to the nearest scrapyard, in fact offer to pay for it...

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Ford should have stopped at Bronco 1. What if Chevy made a K5 two. Could you see the questions in the garage forum?

Can I fit 225's with no lift?

8. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Been there.I priced putting a water on a Quad 4 motor for $50 one time.Didnt take me long to back pedal.

9. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a bent valve if you ran a compresion wet test and nothin. I once spent 4 days nianosing a crank no start on a toyota just to find out the cat had come apart and all the material was in the muffler. day 4 I tried to start it with the o2 out of her and she ran. DOH.

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

they did... read s-10 blazer... just they did a little better with it..

bronco 2, the original 2 door exploder

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you beat me too it.

Yea I'm kind of thinking bent valve, just hoping not for his sake, and mine. If he wants to fix it, means days in my garage. The thing popped through the crankcase once(blew out the PCV and Dipstick). And the massive external oil leaks. It could go anyway, haha. Its crappy, oh well.

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I miss my Explorer. :doah:

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

murphys law dude, its always gonna be the thing you didn't think to check... always. ;)

j