Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sometimes, your just in a mood to argue

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So, I've gotton a lot of packages lately for my build.
    In my cardboard receivings, I've gotton a few things that were, not as advertsied, wrong thing...etc...
    So, I have 2 packages, right now, prepaid, return UPS labels attached.
    I try to "Schedule a Pickup" on UPS website, it errors out with a programming error. Fine..
    I call 1800pickups...they proceed to tell me, there will be a $10 PER PACKAGE, "Pickup fee" for the driver to stop and pick up these packages.
    I'm out of town next week, there are no "drop off" locations near, the driver I know on a first name basis, the guy tells me "but sir, you have many free options available, you can drop off any any UPS location (nearest is 21miles), you can flag a driver down and hand it to any UPS driver."
    I'm like, yeah...you want me to stand on the road waving my hands to flag down a UPS truck? Yeah...so you have liability insurance telling people to do that, right?

I see the UPS truck every day, but have nothing coming for a while now because we're buying a new house and all my purchasing has ceased for the time being, and UPS wants to charge $10 to stop at my house when it drives by every day?
    WTF? Fex-Ex group charges nothing .You call, say I have return pre-paid packeges, please pick up, they say what's the address, the guy is here the next day. Why does UPS want $10?
    I'm on the phone, and I'm drinking, I admit it, but the whole pickup, fee thing has me very very errrked. You make money from shipping, not dinging your customer's customer another fee.
    So after talking with a supervisor for 10 minutes arguing about the whole business model of charging pickup fees, I ask, so, if I was to schedule a pickup, how do I pay this pickup fee. Do I give you a credit card. "No sir, you pay the driver".
    I say, "so, the driver comes to my house, I have TWO pre-paid packages in my hand, (or on the ground, one is heavy, big shipping $$$), if I don't pay the driver $10, he leaves, leaving UPS's free money in the driveway"
    They say, "Yes sir, they he won't take it"
    I say
    "Schedule me a pickup, I wanna see this"
    He says
    "Sir, I'm not gonna schedule a pickup if I know your not going to pay"
    I say
    "Really, it's not a problem, I have $10"
    He says
    "ok, whats the address"
    I give it to him, he says
    "So you'll have a $10.35 check ready"
    I say, 0.35? What the 0.35 for?
    "Fuel surcharge"
    ON TOP OF THE PICKUP FEE YOU WANNA CHARGE A FUEL SURCHAGE???????
    Holey..
    I'm all smiles..

"Yeah..$10.35..no problem"

Am I an ass? Perhaps. But it's no wonder UPS is being beat down by fed-ex ground and others. This is a horrible business model to charge your customer's customer a pick up fee. As a UPS customer, you can't pre-pay a pickup fee, of which there shouldn't even be a pickup fee in the first place. The business model should be based on what you charge to move a package from location a to location b. Period. When a brown truck is seen in the vicinity every day, it shouldn't be any charge to stop a pickup some pre-paid packages.

So...we shall see if the UPS driver, actually refuses to pickup these packages.
    That'll be really good....refusing free money, when you've already stopped.
    Yeaaah...

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

LOL - nice - let us know how this turns out

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Don't get me started about UPS. They once refused to ship a package for me, and couldn't / wouldn't tell me why. (Hard drives I was selling on Ebay.) Never mind the fact that their counter is only open 12 noon to 7PM on prime numbered Tuesdays and is hidden off a street with no highway exit and you haev to go behind a sign marked "CLOSED BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD" or somesuch.

I called Fedex, got my Ground account, and they get my business now. I spend less money for a LOT less hassle *and* the stuff gets there faster. Go figure.

-- A

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

x2 my brother.:D :wink1:

5. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

You should try working for UPS, It sucks! I load trucks there so the money and hours suck, And it will be probably four years before i will get a chance to drive for them. I may just quit and get my cdl's.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should send them a PITA surcharge for every box you pick up.:D

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Like my dad always says.... "UPS = Unusually Poor Service."

j

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hate UPS. They are piss poor all the way around.

John

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well,they did it. Refused free money.
    We we'rnt home,it was a nice warm sunny day, so I left the packages in vivid sight in the hood of a vehicle blocking the doorway where he would normally drop off packages.
    He left a note, saying they'd try again on monday, and to please leave the $10.35 check if we're not going to be home.
    That's just idiotic. Drive to a customers house, TWICE, to refuse to pickup your free money.
    But wait, as soon as the driver backs out into the road, I'm allowed to "flag him down" and hand him the packages, right?

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought they payed well to load trucks, with good benefits? Just hearsay though..........

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man, that's getting stupid for them to treat their customers like that..........thanks for the insight, I'll try to use FedEx from now on.............:wink1:

12. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

The benefits are great because of the free insurance, But the pay sucks unless you have a driving position.