Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

somthing wrong with my truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

ok when i start the truck it sounds bad. it runs rough and you can hear clinking and poping sounds. mostly in front of catalitic converter. i checked all the vac lines and spark wires and fixed an exaust leak. but it still sounds bad /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifwhat could it be. ive tried all i know and i now need help. its a 1984 gmc jimmy with a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4x4 Cowboy

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Well, you might have to be a little more specific, only because based on your description, it could be 1 or more of 5000 things.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I gotta agree with Schmobs.

Cowboy, we need more info. WHen it's "running rough", does it run rich? Does the rough condition go away after the truck warms up? How does the truck drive? When't the last time you changed your plugs and wires?

Based on your description, I would say that you need a tune up and you might have to adjust your choke. But with a little more info I'm sure we could better help you.

5. 4x4 Cowboy

well i havent had the truck too long so i dont know if the plug wires are ok. its not the original engine. but its a chev 350. i got truck off my dad but he soon later died so i cant ask him any quetions about wats been done and wats not been done. i dont drive the truck right now cause the front end is taken apart. so i cant take it for test drive.
    but when it pops or makes a clankin sound it shakes for a second.then idle ok for a few the make noise and shake again.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Pull the plugs first and see if they are fouled up. Like was mentioned could be a host of things. I say check the things you can before you start throwing money at it. Could just need a tune up. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Check the timing.