Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SON OF A.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jul 12, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Somewhere down the road I seem to have smashed my t case crossmember and in doing so tweaked the hell outta my frame!!!! I'm hoping by raising it back where it was and pulling the bottom frame rail down again it will level the truck. The whole right side is sitting an inch or two lower than the left.
    Any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm guessing when I lowered the t case and put the spacers inbetween the x member and the frame it didn't support the frame enuff and it twisted. Im hoping I can fix this on my own. I remember landing hard on a rock wheeling awhile back, I'm guessing thats when I tweaked it all.

I don't belong to a gym, I do MY situps and pushups under my blazer! http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5
    Jim

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

what a b!tch. i did the exact same thing. i hit a huge rock(boulder) and it tweaked the left side of my frame about 1/4" and messed my crossmeember. now i cant get into 4x and it has a vibe. luckily all i need is a new crossmember and i can bend the frame back with a huge crescent wrench. a frame shop quoted me $75. i think i can do it on my own for a hell of a lot cheaper. good luck

NITRO

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

'zactly what I was thinkin. I may hafta keep the t case lowered cos of a bad vibration. If thats the case I'm going to find some square stock to beef up the gap instead of the spacers. Hopefully it'll work out. I did this months ago but I removed the swaybar for fun last week and the whole right side dropped /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had a similar thing happen with different results. smacked the transfer case on a rock. broke the tranny case!! 10qt's of tranny fluid still in the woods!! don't tell encon!! I plan on putting skid plates under this truck. If you take crossmember down, can you pull rails back?

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You have me confused on the rails part. Are you talking about the braces that go from the tranny and tcase and bolt to the motor? If so, no, theyre not affected.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if u bent the bottom frame rails, then yes u can pull em back into shape. id reccomend havuin a shop do frame work. thats what im doin. i dont feel like pissin with it myself and takin a chance of messin it up. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

NITRO

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

what i meant was, if you take the crossmember out, will that release some of the stress on the frame and allow you to "pull" the frame rails back into shape.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thats what I did, I removed the old bent up x member, straightened out the frame rails best I could and replaced x member with a newer straighter one. It looks a whoooooole lot better.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My new frame was mildly bent from the a******* at the junkyard that hit it with the forklift. All I did was put a hi-lift between the rails to spread them a bit and put the crossmember in.