Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Songs that take you back in time.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 23, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just finished ripping my Tom Petty CD's to MP3 (cleaning the cd shelf), and "Won't back down" is giving me flashbacks of cruising around with my buddies in my '73 Polara at end of high school collegey years.

In the words of Toby Kieth, Nights I can't remember, friends I'll never forget.

We had 5 kids stuffed into that car one night, and some punk bet me I couldn't make the tires spin with all that weight in the back. So I cooked em up nice for him at the next light... That was back before I realized chicks aren't really impressed when you choke them with smoke from burning rubber... Then we ditched them and a few weeks later they kicked my friends arse and trashed his van real bad, but otherwise we had some fun those years :rotfl:...
    I found out a couple months ago that this friend that had gotten jumped confessed to a murder he didn't commit in his old hometown (freaky, eh?)...

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Van Halens Debut of Running with the devil blasting from my 1962 chevy pickup with 3 of my friends crowded inside crusing Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday nights during 11th grade in 1978

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I graduated in '89, so my music memories are pretty lame. Sad as it is, I hear some Guns & Roses and have scary visions of me, Milwaukee's Best, ripped jeans with bandana and borderline arrest/death incedents.:blush:

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The Unforgiven II

Sitting in a car, rain coming down hard, bleeding like a madman

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, G&R takes me back to high school. We all loved the classic rock. :D

Linkin Park really reminds me of those times too.:whistle:

6. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Ozzy Osbourne ~ Mr. Tinkertrain .... reminds me of my wrestling years in school, they used it on my highlight film my freshman year.

I have found a lot of songs bring back memories of something, someone from your past. I doesn't hurt to remember your past, it's what made you what you are today! :)

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

KING DIAMOND......sleepless nights.......and Abigail :saweet:

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

"over seasons" by authority zero... reminds me of being in college last year...

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I found my dad's Beach Boys CD that I wanted to listen to the other day... It was in a basket under a pile of magazines... so I listened to it on my way to work :cool1:

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Long Time by Boston...sitting in my car at high school, cutting class and smoking, BS'ing with my friends. :blush:

Back in Black
    The Wall

Both remind me of Sony Walkmans in high school. I remember the first walkman I ever saw/listened to when they were very new. My friend had one and he had Pink Floyd and AC/DC...

Gun's and Roses, Def Leppard remind me of the first summer I spent with my wife (before she was my wife...) Specifially the 5 hour drive to Okanagon lake when we went there.

Rene

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

"Them Bones" by Alice in Chains - reminds me of booming around the Arizona desert, 20ft off the ground doing 180mph, after midnight, in a 50,000lb helicopter. :cool1: :cool1: We patched a Discman into the intercom that week for in-flight entertainment. Good times... :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

"Take it Easy" by The Eagles - driving along I-40 with my wife and our dog, going cross-country from PA to CA. She was singing along in a purposely-horrible voice, trying to get me to eject the tape and let her put something of hers in. Didn't work... :D :D :D

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana - hopping in my buddy's Grand Am at lunchtime in high school to run to Mickey D's, and our efforts to sneak back in unnoticed (we weren't supposed to leave the building for lunch). :angry1: :angry1: Oh, and the vodka & OJ breakfasts in the student parking lot... :thinking: :thinking: :yikes: :yikes:

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Limp Bizket takes me back, me and my buddies used to listen to "significant other" alot

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My first real job was a busboy . I would get off bout 1:30 in the morning, then I had a 20 mile drive home on nice 4 lane hiway. I would load up up my Eagles 8track, bump it up to "Take It To The Limit" and run my 427 Galaxie up to the end of the speedo. Never got caught, I could usually get home in less than 15 minutes, driving through the neiighborhood slowed me down to 35 mph.

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

80's hair bands and my Monte Carlo and black '74 Vette.

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here's a dorky image for ya.

When I still had the 71 Cuda I would cruise along main by the big reflective windows playing Heart's Barracuda.

Ooooooooooooo BARRACUDA

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

"Knockin' on Heavens door" G'N R version. Armed Forces Radio Network played it about an hour before we kicked off the Kuwait invasion in '91. I was about 3 miles from the boarder at the time.

Old Van Halen. My buddy and I used to listen to that every morning on the way to high school.

"Enter Sandman" Japan Late '91 early '92.

John

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When I hear Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird it takes me back to the Oakland Colliseum in 1975 Where I saw them live. Had a Girl on each arm and my old ford van. :wink1:

19. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ICE ICE BABY..............word to your mother

sorry but i had to:grin:

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahhhhh,memories..

tRusty must be about the same age as me--We rocked out to the tunes of Boston("Long Time","More Than A Feeling") in my high school days too(they were a local bar band that started in Hyannis MA not too far from me!).

.I can remember driving my 1963 VW beetle and listening to "Train Kept A Rollin" on Areosmiths "Get Your Wings" 8 track!- Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water","Highway Star",--"Sweet Leaf "and "Paranoid",by Black Sabbath,-and cruising in my brush painted red and white 1963 VW "Bus" listening to "Lucky Man" by Emerson,Lake,And Palmer(our graduation song at school!),and "The Wall",and "Dark Side Of The Moon"album by Pink Floyd,and "Fly Like An Eagle" by the Steve Miller Band,also "Taking It To The Streets" by the Doobie Bros,Creedence Clearwater Revival,Lynyrd Skynerd's "Free Bird",AC/DC's "We've Got Big Balls" broadcast over the PA in my CB in the schools parking lot-

Now I'm back to country and bluegrass the past 20 years or so--"The Song Remembers When" by Trisha Yearwood speaks volumes on this subject--many songs out when I took my first trip to nashville for "Fan Fair" bring me some bittersweet memories--my best freind I drove there with died a few years later(as did my other best friend I'd known since grade shcool,both had heart problems and died at age 36:frown1: )-

Every time a song by the artists we met there comes on,its like a flashback--We met Suzy Bogguss and Kathy Mattea,and Holly Dunn several times,and got to know them petty well--each time I hear them I have to stop and take a deep breath..it was hard to go see them in concert after that,but I go to every one in my area--they are very good to their fans,and I owe a lot to them for helping me cope with my friends loss-

And after what Rhonda Vincent gave me the other night(a CAR!:laugh: )--I cant say anything but good about country and bluegrass artists--I might have been a "Metalhead" back when,but I'm a country and bluegrass fan forever now!--YEEE_HAWWW!!:D :D