Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sony head unit no power

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bryguy00b, May 24, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok well the radio in my truck (sony) has never worked and i just got around to start fooling wiht it..the fuse in the block is good..and i replaced the fuse on the back of the headunit..but it wont power on. is there any way i can check to see if its the head unit or a connection? the guy said it did work so i dont see how it could stop wokring inless its the headunit itself. is there any sure way to single out the headunit?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

are you getting any power at all to unit(clock,etc), or nothing, not even the clock? I would follow the red and yellow leads from the head unit to see where they are going. Sometimes bad installs allow for these get loose. The red is power , and the yellow is aux (clock). If they look good, try connecting the red to another source on the fuse box to see if you get anything.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

like hot wire it you mean? could i just hook up a power and a ground?

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, it is ok to run the red from head unit directly to fuse box if you want(mine is connected to "radio" fuse on fuse box. Also, check to see if ground is in place from head. If the red is connected to power source(fusebox) and the black(ground) is connected to body, then you should have power, if you have no power then your head is probably bad.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok thanx i think ill do that tomorrow! ( i hope it turns out the head unit is bad)...that way all ill have to do is go buy a better head unit! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

sony's are anal. on most units you must have power to the red and yellow wires and the antennae must be inserted for it to power up. ground is not as sensitive as it can ground through the antennae if it has to, but its not recommended. double check the inline fuses if it has them.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm yea i was wondering if it would power up with the antenna plugged in or not. cause its realy hard to plug it in as the antenna wire is pretty short. and it might have came out causing it not to turn on if thats how they work.

8. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i have a similar problem. mine powers up just fine, but when i turn off the truck and leave it for a couple minutes and turn it back on, it doesnt save the time or presets. i think its the aux. power supply. where would be a good place to wire this as it is a constat power supply? correct? i dont know much of anything about radios and stuff.. haha /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

most of the older gm products that use glass fuses have a spade position for illumination, power and switched power. newer rigs have to be searched out for "hot" wires and the like. i have pulled hot power off of cig lighters, brake light input lines and the battery itself. each rig is different once its no longer stock.

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

to got_mud's advice, i have also used cigarette lighter for aux needs.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok hwo do i hook it to a fuse i dont get how these spade connecters are suppost to work!?

12. prerunner1982

some connections to the fuse box on the fuse side have small places to put the spade connectors. i would hook up the aux power to the cig lighter, but yeah i have already exhausted that power supply. i will probably run another wire to the fuze box.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do i hook it up to the cigeratte lighter?

14. prerunner1982

i just spliced mine into the cord for the CB that is plugged into the cig lighter, you would also just splice a power wire off the power wire for the cig lighter. its fairly simple.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wel li grounded my radio and put a power wire to the fuse block in a constant source and nothing happened...so i dont think the head is good..inless it matters if the antenna has to be plugged in or not but its really hard to get it in

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    wel li grounded my radio and put a power wire to the fuse block in a constant source and nothing happened...so i dont think the head is good..inless it matters if the antenna has to be plugged in or not but its really hard to get it in

[/ QUOTE ]
    Most newer Sony's have a "reset" button. You sometimes have to hit this button when the power has been disconnected for a while.
    I just installed my Sony from My Supra into my Burb and had to hit the rest button to get it to fire.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there si no reset button on this..this thing is kinda old..its only a 35x4 watt to..msot are liek 45 now i think..

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

buy a new one....you know you want to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    make sure the antenna is hooked up also, if still no
    power, toss it.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea im going to go buy a new one maybe tongiht and have it put in..besides my mom said to pick something out for my birthday.. well...ill get this! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I'm a big fan of JVC car stereo's. I've had really good luck with JVC head units, and you can usely get more bang for the buck with the JVC car stereo's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif