Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sony Xplod line

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cybrfire, Aug 18, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Is it any good? Gimme your opinions. I won't be building a system that will blow windows out. Just something that sounds decent for the money.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have quite a few friends that have had problems with the Sony head units. What price range are you trying too stay in ?? I only gave $336.00 for my Clarion DXZ945MP on Ebay (New in box with warrenty) Clarion DXZ945MP It's a very nice head unit, does everything I want and has more features/funtions then I can use.

3. cybrfire

I have a fairly decent JVC head unit that I could use. Mostly interested in thier speakers. Was thinking 4 door speakers and a couple 8" subs behind the back seat of the crew cab. I see the Xplod line everywhere but never heard anything about them. Don't know a whole lot about stereos anyway.

As far as price range goes, the cheaper the better but then I don't want junk either. Just decent would be fine.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Speakers ?? I'm a big fan of the Infinity Kappa speakers. I'm a shrude shopper. I do my research, then save the search on Ebay till they come up at a price I'm willing too pay. For the not too expencive speakers, I'd look into Kenwood, Clarion, JBL, and Pioneer. They all make a good mid-grade car speaker. Ebay is your friend, just set the search for "NEW" speakers.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Kert, I've been running the Xplod 6" x 9" speakers (4 of them) in my burb for about 3 yrs now and they have been working great for what I wanted them to do.

6. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

if you don't expect much of anything out of them you will be happy...if you want something that sounds good, stay away from sony. They have great stuff, but car audio isn't their forte (sp).

7. cybrfire

I think I'll have to go to Best Buy and listen to them again. Kinda hoping to get the rocker panels and 4wd hump finished in the crew cab some time this weekend. If that happens I can get the doors back on and some interior put in. Good time to slip some speakers in there.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had the xplod speakers in the stock locations of my wifes old Sentra , just the deck power was enough to make it sound good .

The decks though , I have had 3 Sony decks in a row . One the radio stopped playing loud , only the CD changer played good . One worked perfectly , but predated the xplod line .

My current one I bought of Ebay just to replace the one the radio wasn't working in , and it works fine ( mobile ES , not xplod , flip face with no slot visible with face up ) .

So thats 3 Sony's and 2 of 3 worked fine .

I am wanting another Sony deck , and a new Changer that plays mp3's natively ( even on older non mp3 decks with changer controls ) :D

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if ure getting a deal on them then go for it. not bad mid-range price speakers. thy will be fine, just not good for LOUD or kickin stuff

10. pauly383

If you want loud and kickin , you usually use amps , and seperates anyway :wink1:

I get loud and clean , no room for amps with my spare parts :p:

11. cybrfire

I picked up a pair of Sony Xplod door speakers today. Sounded better than most of them but not all at Best Buy. Now we'll see how they sound in a truck rather than an acoustic room. That's one thing I don't like about the big places that sell car audio.

I also scored 50 sq. Ft. of dyna mat. for 10 bucks so that should help. I might even be able to work on it this weekend.

12. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I had the Sony 6.5" X-plode in my doors in my '88 Blazer with a Pioneer head unit. Never had any problems with them. Just don't crank them up too high, otherwise they start to distort.

13. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Pioneer decks are dependable and cheap on ebay. Pheonix gold speakers and amps are amazing, affordable, and made in the USA. Check Ebay!

Jesse

14. pauly383

What they sound like , speakers installed already ?

I just talked the wife into my new deck last night . I couldn't get the rotary face Sony . I got the CDX F5710 mp3 deck . Sounds tits :D

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just ordered some of those 350w 6x9 xplod on ebay, brand new shipped for just under $50, since it's going in an rhinolined soft top '72 I'm not expecting anything spectacular but they should work.

Are yours installed cybrfire? Let me know if they sound OK, I'm still waiting for some 6x9 boxes for mine.

16. cybrfire

Nope, mine aren't installed yet. I'm working on the doors so I bought these ahead of time so I could knock the holes in them. Will be a while for they are in and hooked up.

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Got them in the boxes and hooked up last night, sounds pretty good considering.

They could use an amp. but it just seems like a waste in my truck. Still fairly loud, loud enough to drown out the glass packs as long as I don't mind everyone else on the road listening to my chit through the soft top.

18. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I got a Sony Xplod MP30, cd/mp3 player. Got it a few years ago. I love it. Its pretty spartan, buttons are configured in a logical order. Believe it or not, its only skipped a few times, and that was hitting large pottholes at speeds...never skipped offroading :eek1:

[​IMG]

19. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Ran the sony Xplod seperates 5.5" with a amp. In one year put 3 sets In, before Sony gave me back my money!! If the RMS Is 250 Stay about 100 watts RMS :mad:

20. pauly383

I got one 2 weeks ago and love it , and once again I haven't had to rewire , just plug the harness right into the new one . I pulled my changer for the trail truck , and now roll with all my music on less than 10 discs :D
    [​IMG]