Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soon to lift but have questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flyndragons, May 28, 2002.

1. flyndragons

flyndragons Registered Member

Hey guys,

I hope that yall can help me out. I'm about to lift my 84 K5. But there are certain restrictions I've gotta look at. I want to stick 4 to 6" of lift under her and would prefer 35"s. I know what I want to do but my questions are this:

1) How high do I need to go to clear a decent set of 35s?
    2) How high can I go to meet the VA state law of 29" front and 30" rear bumper/frame to ground hight?
    3) And do you recommend any specific tires?

I'd love all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Depending on the brand of lift, the actual springs/blocks, and your rig, you may easily be able to clear 35s with 4" of lift or you may need 6". A 6" lift will usually require a longer front driveshaft as well, and maybe a rear one. Some 4" lifts on some rigs may require a front one as well, but not usually.

If you are concerned about the lift law issues, go with a 4" suspension lift and add a body lift if necessary or trim your fenders for better tire clearance. Lifting the body will not affect your legality with regard to bumper/frame heights.

As far as lifts, search this site and you will find lots of stuff about the different kinds of lifts. I would recommend springs front and rear (no blocks). I would also recommend a 4" lift if it is your first one and you are doing it yourself. It has less other surrounding issues.

Hope this helps some.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

1. If you go 6", you won't need to worry about trimming the fenders.
    2. Well, start off with how high it is off the ground. Add all of your lift (6") and half of the difference of your current tire height to your future tire height (So, if you have 31's now and get 35's, half of the difference is 2".) Add those two numbers to what you have now and see if it's less than what it has to be.
    3. Start off with some mud-terrain 35" radial tires. Like Procomp, BFF.
    -- Mike