Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sooo many fuel lines?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Jun 20, 2005.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

I'm looking to put an after market Edelbrock fuel pump on my K-5 (350) but I'm already sensing things aren't going to be "Plug N' Play". Two questions:

1) Am I going to need to convert the pump to bottom feed for clearance purposes?

2)This is the first vehicle I've built that originally came fully emissions equipped. The 3 fuel line thing seems troublesome. Although I'd love to keep the Evap system that is currently in place I can't see how that's possible with an after market pump. Is there anyway to SAFELY vent the tank (maybe even retain the Evap system) without using an OEM fuel pump?

Thanks Again!

PS - can anyone recommend a good source for Stainless lines?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its tight down there even with a stock fuel pump , right next to frame rail . I hate changing fuel pumps .

You can keep the evap , its a seperate return line .

The tank is also vented at the fill neck .

Personally I would just run the 15 buck stock pump , and carry a spare . Don't really need too much if you aren't drag racing . Just me though :D

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I concur. No reason to replace a stock pump with something "better" unless you absolutely need it.

Safely venting the fuel tank is very troublesome IMO. Finding a safe location to vent, while keeping bugs/water/etc. out of it is difficult.

4. kkyle69

kkyle69 Registered Member

I would recommend The Fastenal Company for the Stainless Steel. I got my from there for about 11 bucks for 10 ft. You'll have to bend the line yourself and they have all kinds of sizes.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

stick with the stock pump, if you do anything put in an electric backup pump. It plumb into your fuel line w/ a bypass so most of the time you dont run it, but if you get vapor lock or your pump goes you have a back at the flick of a switch

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Also another reason to stick with stock pump, if going aftermarket removes the fuel return feature.

The longer the fuel sits, the more likely it is to heat soak. With a two+ line pump, one of the lines is a return, meaning cool fuel from the tank is ALWAYS moving through the lines, instead of sitting in the lines picking up heat.