Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sooo....Who has a 1-1/2" ram from WTO that DOESN'T leak???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Aug 5, 2004.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Sooo....Who has a 1-1/2\" ram from WTO that DOESN\'T leak???

I'm on my 4th one. The first one lasted 2 weeks, the 2nd- 2 weeks, the 3rd- 2 months, now the final one- 6 months- power steering fluid all over the garage floor again- arghhhh. Matt at WTO has been more than helpful, sending new ones, call tags for the old, etc. etc. But I'm done messing around.

I need some options to replace this=- one last time, with something that won't leak if you look at it crossways /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, something that might last a year or better without leaking. It sits up high on hi steer, and never sees a rock.

I need it to be 1-1/2, single ended... any thoughts, advice??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Re: Sooo....Who has a 1-1/2\" ram from WTO that DOESN\'T leak???

I got the 1.75 inch. Only had it installed for 3 weeks or so. Isn't leaking at all I can tell.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks dude, maybe I'll call Matt again, but man, this is getting old /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, and I was wishing I had waited to get the smaller ram (due to steering speed). Kinda glad I've got the 2" now. What's it been, over 2 years of turning locked 42s (minus down time) and not a single drop leaked...

Good luck!

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

same here with the 1.75 going on a year with no leaks..

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went through 3 of them and got tired of the boxes he rebuilt leaking and not working along with the rams leaking. Built my own system using my own parts and no problems at all, no more burnt pumps from pieces of box or ram going through the sysem either! Matt was always great to deal with but being without a truck for weeks at a time while problems were fixed were rediculous.

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

you think this can have anything to do with any of the pump mods?? maybe creating too much pressure and causing leaks..

what pump mods did you do?

8. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Matt was always great to deal with but being without a truck for weeks at a time while problems were fixed were rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more J...

9. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    you think this can have anything to do with any of the pump mods?? maybe creating too much pressure and causing leaks..

[/ QUOTE ]
    No...

[ QUOTE ]
    what pump mods did you do?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't remember exactly, but it was minor if anything, the pump and lines are fine, it's just the cylinder seal that has a problem /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    I went through 3 of them and got tired of the boxes he rebuilt leaking and not working along with the rams leaking. Built my own system using my own parts and no problems at all, no more burnt pumps from pieces of box or ram going through the sysem either! Matt was always great to deal with but being without a truck for weeks at a time while problems were fixed were rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow, never knew anyone who had a problem with his boxes either. I had him go through mine from end to end along with putting in a 2WD shaft and tapping. Not a drop has leaked from my steering box either. And my pump(s) do have the volume mod, but no pressure mods...

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The very first time he built my box, when he did the porting for the ram and all, I put it in and couldn't turn past center to the right. Ended up 3 of the recirc. balls had fallen down into the end of the box behind the big cover on the front. I fixed that myself. The next time was when the 2nd ram died and he asked me to send the box back to make sure there are no parts of the ram seals inside of it so I did that to make sure it was nice and clean for the new ram and pump. When I got it back I fired the truck up and the wheels turned full lock right on there own as fast as they could. Called him and somehow the torsion bar inside the sector shaft that meters flow broke during shipping or rebuild or something and I had to send it back again... Then after that the sector shaft seal blew out about a month later. I put a new seal in and the same thing happend. So I took the box all apart and the seal surface on the sector shaft was all beat up from someone using a chisel to remove the old seal, big pits and raised areas in the seal. I used emery cloth to smooth it out and it's been leak free for about 4 months now. If it happens again I guess I'll buy a new sector shaft.

12. BadDog

So that's what came of that. I remember you having the sector seal problems, but didn't remember hearing the resolution. Man, that sucks. Hope the problems with that are done, and good luck to everyone on the ram leaks too... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Funny this would come up. I was just this morning pointing a fellow lister at Tom Lee @ Lee Mfg. He does have a site, but it's only for contact info. I figure 20+ years of building Baja, circle track, Pikes etc racing PS parts is worth something.

LEE MFG. CO.
    11661 Pendleton Street
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    Ph.(818)768-0371
    Fax.(818)768-2687

http://www.leepowersteering.com/

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man this sucks i really wanted to go with his setup now im kinda scared to /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ditto /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a problem with mine...

j

17. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    never had a problem with mine...

[/ QUOTE ]
    jek, 1-1/2? When did you buy it? How long has it been in use? Thanks.

I know some of the first ones done were good to go, then something changed, not sure what exactly, but there has been issues in the last year or so. Anybody talk to Matt on this lately? I haven't talked to him or Lisa in awhile, anybody know what's up out there? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I was pretty busy today, so I didn't have a chance to call out there.

NOTE: This is NOT a slam on WTO, or Matt H. just looking for info is all.

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

There is no point in being worried about going with Matt's system. He is the most honest and hard working man I know. He will always do his best to make any problems you encounter right. Here is one example: On a wheeling trip in Katemcy ( www.katemcyrocks.com ) my buddy Micah was having problems with his steering system not turning to the left very well. On Saturday morning Matt showed up with a couple rigs on his 42' gooseneck behind his 1 ton Dodge. That afternoon, Micah Talked to Matt about his problems. Matt looked at his system to see if it was repairable on the trail. It was determined not to be so Matt said he would trailer his rig to San Angelo (where the shop is). Saturday night Matt left Katemcy with 3 rigs in tow and by the next weekend he fixed his entire system to 100%. He then offered to tow it all the way back to Austin (4+ hours) for him. Micah agreed instead to meet him half way to pick up his K5. Now I don't know about you but that is customer service right there! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

hell yea it is...

I havent had serious problems with mine.. i think the ram leaks a little bit.. but not to bad... But that might just be because ive been running in the sand more then the trails.....

as far as the pump goes it hasnt leaked or burnt up yet... My steering seems slower then it should be... When i whip cookies with the steering wheel turned to lock, I cant whip it back around without slowing way down... I just cant Spin the wheel fast enough... kinda frustrating.

20. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

We have had our ram installed almost two years and it hasn't leaked a drop. I would also like to add that when it comes to customer service and doing what is right for the customer, you won't find anyone better than Matt @ WTOR. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif