Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry-Another Fender Trim Question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Apr 5, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Sorry for this, but did a search that didn't help too much. After all the work I've done lately, I'm starting to think pretty seriously about doing a LITTLE fender trimming-just haven't had the balls yet. She's got new paint/fenders and trim, so I'd like her to stay "purty" as long as possible.

Question is, how do you trim enough, but still be able to use your stock moulding pieces??? I'm thinking that if I cut just that little 1.5" or so on the fender back fairly close to the wall, that will be enough. I want it to look as natural/stock as possible, and be able to put the moulding piece back on, but as it screws up from the inner/bottom edge, if I cut that off, there won't be anything to screw it into in that spot-how did you do this?

Whoever has that big dark blue blazer on 4" with 35's if I remember right is about the look I'd like to go for-very slight, but enough to do the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, and sorry for yet another question with this matter-found all kinds of stuff about how to cut, what to use, etc., but nothing about retaining stock moulding. I know I've seen it, just can't find it.

Best of Luck,

Mike

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I would cut and screw the trim, but if your set on keeping the trim cut the amount you need and have a shop make new trim for ya. My tires have already tore half my trim off. You have 35" tires w/ 2" of lift. First time you flex it will tear your trim off anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Yeah, you're right about that one-I tore the hell out of an old truck I had with 35's on only 2", but the wife drives this as "her" rig. Hell, she's only a couple miles to work, so it just makes more sense for me to take the car, as I'm about 70 miles! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, she likes the way it looks now, and I'm having a hard time convincing her that it will look just as good without the trim. And yes, a 4" swap was in the works-that is, until the good ol' government decided I owed them some $1,600 this year-ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

At any rate, I studied it a bit yesterday and think I can trim and taper enough, cut it just enough back that it will follow the natural contour, just a little wider and that would work. Problem is, once I cut that lip off, I won't have anything to screw that trim back into on the bottom part of the fender, closest to the door. I've seen several other's do this, but not sure how they secured it.

Thanks for the thought though, Best of Luck,

Mike

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, can you tack weld a small tab to the inside of the fender to attach the lower trim to? Ive never done this and dont know if it would work???? I know the tack weld would discolor the paint but if you're careful it would be covered by the trim. Just a thought..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Jeff-

Ahhh, I think you're on to something-I'm such an idiot, I swear sometimes I think I've got rocks in my head or something. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yeah, I think that would work-actually, if I planned and cut it right, I could leave a small "tab" there, then bend it to a 90 degree and, voila-should work! Actually, no, I can't weld-don't have a welder-yet... My buddy was going to get one a couple weeks ago, but his wife decided she needed some new clothes instead-bummer.

Oh well, great idea, I appreciate it! Will let you know how it works out-once I get the nerve to actually start the /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif-kinda freaky now that I think it will actually work!

Thanks again, Best of Luck to ya!

Mike

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes, you could cut the tab and bend it, probably even better. Good luck and let us know how it went! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif