Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry another Holley problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaros44, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

hey guys,

i have a 600 CFm holley and after i turn the trcuk off the secondary fuel bowl leaks down onto the throttle shaft. i figured out that it was caused by the fuel level being too high in the secondaries but i cant get the fuel level down. i checked the floats to see if the were leaking, nope. checked the needles and seats, put new ones in. nope.. i rebuilt the carb and had the secondary fuel bowl off seven times now, just cnat get the fuel level down. tried screwing the needle all the way in and it still is way over the sight plug. think maybe the fuel pressure is overriding it. passing the primarys and flooding the secondaries out? ahh its drivin me nuts. thanks for any help

jon

2. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

check fuel pressure first. second remove float level sight hole plug on bowl. third depending on type of fuel pump either turn on electric pump or start truck. HINT while doing this have someone around to turn off truck if gas spews out of the hole like old faithful all over the engine. the fuel level shoud be just at the bottom lip of the hole w/ pump on or truck running. if you push the truck and rock it back and forth gas should just dribble out. must do this on LEVEL ground. you should have about 1/4" to 1/8" of the needle and seat sticking out of the carb housing w/ the nut off. hope this helps

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I had a nightmare experiance with holley I went through 6 carbs :mad: they even paid for a local shop to install one because they didn't trust my install then the finally refunded my money. I bolted an edelbrock on and it fired right up with no tuning at all. :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Did you adjust the floats ?

There is a big nut on top of the bowl with a screwdriver slot in the middle . You can lossen the big nut , turn the screwdriver slot , and rtighten nut to lock it .

Thats the float level adjustment .

I run Q-jets on the trucks . But always had Holleys on my Chevelles , incuding the new one .

5. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

I had the same prob just on the front bowl replaced float and all was good