Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry for the tech, but...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 17, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone know how to make a USB to OBDII cable? I've seen them for sale $140+, but I know I've seen plans to make them, too.

My wife's 94 Intrepid has been doing the "Check Engine" routine after long drives, and she wants to take the car to maine next weekend. I'm thinking to avoid a war, I should get it fixed...

Is there a way to watch the mil flash codes like on the obd I systems? My Jeep mechanic friend showed me a trick where you cycle the key 5 times and the light starts flashing, but I can't read any of the codes from it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

2. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

The autozone near me will read them for free.... As for the odbii to usb, I haven't a clue.

3. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

94 should still be obd1. if im right obd2 dident start untill 96. this is what i would do, i would go talk to your jeep tech and slip him some beer money to scan for the codes. have him advise on what u need to replace or what u need to do, then go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm pretty sure it's OBD II, obd II was in use then, but not federally required until 1996. It could be OBDI, but the code references I've tried to look up for this car have P00302 style codes, which I thought was OBD II.

My dad knows a guy with a scanner, so he's going to scan it for me when I bring the car out to him.

There was a dry rotted breather tube that I replaced today, I'm wondering if that was screwing with the map and setting codes... Also found the water pump leaking, oil leaking from somewhere unknown. Time for that dang minivan Im' thinking...

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

For USB, it aint so fun. EAsier on serial.