Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry FURD question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know this is a chev. forum, but I don't know where else to go...
    In another thread I mentioned that the furd has not been ran for about 3 months because the battery was dead. I need the winch off of it to get the Jimmy out of the snow...
    I went to take the battery out, so I undid the negative side and positive side nuts, then the negative side came off the post with a bit of a twist... then I went to the Positive side and tried to twist it. I don't know why... but when ever I try to move it, it doesn't move. if I try harder the plastic around the post moves a bit...as if it were trying to bend. The nuts are off, so I don't know why the + side won't come off. I tried wrenching at the square head bolt, but only had a little bit of movement until I would hit the coresupport. I tried tilting it abit, then I had more room and it moved just a hair until the side of the post facing me started to bend where the plastic is again, what is wrong??????
    I eventually just un-did the battery cable from what I think is a solenoid on the inside of the fender, so I have about 6" of battery cable attached when I charged the battery...
    I think my charger is messed because almost instantly it said full charge. Then after about 10 seconds, the "full charge" light goes off on the battery charger... then comes back on in about 2 seconds... and keeps doing this.
    I waited about 1-2 hours letting it charge and went to put it back in.
    [ flashback to before] When I had taken the nut and washer off of the solenoid (or whatever it is thats on the fender wall) the lock washer was stuck, so I pried on it by wiggling the bat. cable behind it. Then the washer shot somewhere in 7" of snow. So I couln't find it. [ current time now...]
    So I got the battery back onto the tray, bolted the positive bat. cable to the solenoid on the fender wall without the lock washer because I didn't think it was that important. Then I bolted the negative side back to the post, and slipped the 2 other cables (one for the neg., one for the pos. side) then put both nuts back onto the connectors.
    I go to open the door to the cab and forget I left the keys in the house. I run down to the house (hopeing the battery won't lose it's charge) and spend 10 minutes looking for them (someone moved them) then ran back up and opened the door to the cab. The light didn't come on so I thought maybe the bulb was dead. get in, turn the key and the 4x4 light turns on (tells me I am in 4x4) then I try to start it... it doesn't do anything but make this weird nuuuuuuuuu sound until I let off the key. I open the door and the light comes on... hmm... I check to make sure I didn't forget to put anything on the battery...everything there (except the lock washer i couldn't find) so I went back into the ford and tried startting it again.... nuuuuuu AGAIN so I say forget it... grab the keys, shut the hood, and come inside.

WHAT the heck is wrong now? I NEED this to get running. The only thing I can think of is maybe it NEEDs the lockwasher on the solenoid????
    Unless there is something else, please help me!!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what is the nuuuuuuu shound?

is the starter engageing but hardly cranking or what?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you don't need the lock washer as long as the cable is not moving. do you have a VOM (volt meter)? or what does the volt meter say on the dash when the key is on?
    is it cranking it at all? is the starter clicking?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like the battery is pooched. How many volts does it read?

Rene

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the nuuuuuuu sound is what the truck makes when I try to start it.
    I don't feel like going out there in the dark to check the volts, so I will do that tomorrow morning.
    I don't have a seperate volt meter, just the one on the truck.
    I don't hear the starter clicking. It's not cranking at all, unless I can't hear it. Like I mentioned, all it does is makes a nuuuuu sound... kind of like ths sound when the bed scrapes against the cab slowly... not a scratch if you were going fast, but just a deep nuuuuu sound. or maybe it sounds like something is stuck but is trying to moving I guess... I don't know...:confused:

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Starter could be frozen, but thats more of a hum sound then a nuuuu.. Try beating on the starter..

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what its a ford right?

if the starter is frozin put a metal bowl or a paint can of gas under the starter/moter area and light it up.

every thing will be right after that.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will try beating on the starter. How hard can I hit it? Hammer okay?
    Thanks...

AH! I'm not going to light a bunch of gas underneath it... it's high enough... but to get a bowl of gas high enough will be hard.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have you got another battery that you know is good? The post on a battery is not that large in side the case. You may have broken the post inside the case and that is why the charger is showing full charge, it only senses whether or not current is passing out of the charger. I worked at a battery shop years ago and you would not believe all the batteries I replaced with broken posts, cause the owner twisted too hard on the cable clamps trying to get them off. Get a big flat blade screwdriver,stick it in the crack where the two sides of the cable clamp meet(where the bolt goes thru),now pry the two sides apart with the screwdriver. Hope this helps

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dude i was jokeing

i was afrade you would take me seriously lol

the only affect gas under your truck would have is to burn the thing to the ground, not nessasarly a bad thing being a ford and all:rotfl:

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well I have another battery across the front clip on the other inner fender I could try charging then try that. But like I said, the current battery I have it has a charge to turn on the lights, it just doesn't do anything to start.
    I guesss I will be patient to see if anyone else has any suggestions, until then I will try hitting the starter, just in case it's frozen...

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ahh! you tricked me! :crazy:

13. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

It sounds as if the battery is dead. Do you have a neighbor or friend who can give you a jump? Or if there is too much snow to get near the ford, borrow the battery out of a good friends vehicle? Also check to make sure the terminals are clean on the solenoid on the fender. If after you hook up a good battery and you still get nothing, touch a screwdriver between the two large terminals on the solenoid momentarily (don't keep it there for more then a few seconds, and yes it should spark a little when you touch the two with a screwdriver)), while the key is in the on/run position and see if she cranks over.

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah jump the soliniod see what happens.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Like I said before, I could switch in the spare battery but the connector is stuck on the positive terminal. I will get a pic in a minute

16. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

do you have jumper cables? Also, parts stores sell a terminal puller, usually about 3-4 bucks. They work good.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have tried jumping it before... a few weeks ago, and it did nothing... it wouldnt start. I was using the Jimmys battery while it was running to make sure it got lots of juice... and nothing happened.
    If I touch the screwdriver to the solenoid posts and still nothing happens, what does it do?

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

pics

Here are the pics... (for some reason I can't post them in the image thing)

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/15029PANA0809.JPG

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/15029PANA0810.JPG

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/15029PANA0811.JPG

I don't know if the pics are big enough, but you can see the positive side connector is all messed up. I don't know how to get it apart, if I put a screwdriver and try to pry it apart it just scratches the connectors...

Also, where is the starter on ford engines? On the passenger side like chevys? Do I have to crawl underneath to reach it so I can tap it a bit?

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ir just like turning the key,

its your starter then, tap the starter and selinoude and try it some more, if not you might have to pull it.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I have jumper cables. Terminal puller? To pull them off the post?