Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry I'm stupid...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry I\'m stupid...

This might sound really dumb, but how important are bushings, and what role do they play in the overall picture? I was under the Blazer the other day and noticed that some of them are starting to look real old and cracked. Is this something that needs immediate attention?

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Sorry I\'m stupid...

Bushings are your primary shock absorbers on most parts of the vehicle. When the bushings go, you start having metal on metal contact, which will drasticly increase the amount of wear on those parts, as well as making noise and possibly breaking something. A new set of bushings is cheap insurance against major parts breakage.

3. Nomorerust

Nomorerust Registered Member

Bushings are like your knee caps,don't excercise them and they'll stifin up!! Flex Em!!!!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe this sounds dumb, too, but wouldn't it be a huge job to rip everything apart to get at the various bushings on the undercarriage and suspension? Or can you just do a few here and there until you've got 'em all?

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>You could do a little at a time until you have everything done. However it might be easier to go ahead and do the whole front end at once. You might have to take some parts loose that you just put on to get to the other parts, and you could easily tear the rubber boot(s), or damage the part(s) itself. If you have the money, I would splurdge for some "polygraphite" parts, if they are available, they are supposed to be stronger and better than the rubber parts itself. I would not recommend "polyurethane" bushing as I have been told that they squeak, and you have to lubricate them. - Steve</font color=purple>
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'm assuming you're talking about the body mounts right??? the rubber that seperates the body from the frame. They're not hard to replace at all. They're a lot harder than they look. When mine were bad, one side was worse than the other, cuasing my K5 to tilt just a tad. This caused serious body roll on right turns. Scary. Well, anyways, I replaced them with Energy suspension poly mounts. Definately recommend. You can check out the install on my site, just click on the mods section and you'll see a pic for it. Click on the pic.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]