Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorry in advance, any F*RD guys?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgillyk5, Nov 3, 2006.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

1987 f250 custom
    deisel, 5spd, tow pkg, w/cap, well maint, GC, AM/FM cass, 157kmi, runs great, $1400

[​IMG]
    What deisel would this be & would you want to pull a car trailer and plow your driveway w/ it. Any info or what to look out for is helpfull.

Thanks.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Found this:

Eighth generation (1987–1991)

Eighth generation [​IMG]
    Production: 19871991 Engine: 4.9 L I6
    5.8 L Windsor V8
    6.9 L Diesel V8
    7.5 L 385 V8
    7.3 L IDI Diesel V8
    5.0 L Windsor V8 The 1987 refresh was evolutionary. The design was more streamlined, and maintenance items were made simpler. Rear antilock brakes were now standard, the first truck to boast this. The manual transmission was revised with five speeds in 1988, and the flareside box was dropped. For 1987 the 4.9L had standard fuel injection; for 1988, the 5.8L and 7.5L also gained fuel injection, with 1988 being the first year no carbureted engines were offered. 1988 also saw the replacement of the 6.9L diesel with a 7.3L International Harvester IDI diesel.
    Four wheel drive improvements included the addition of automatic locking hubs for the F-150 in 1989, and for the rest in 1991. The 5.0 L truck also had an optional "Touch Drive" electronic transfer case.
    Engines:So, it would be the 88' 7.3 IH Diesel that I would want not the 6.9 that would be in the 87'- correct?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

both OK...

The 6.9 Ford diesel and the 7.3 IHC one are both good motors...better in my opinion than the newer "Powerstroke" ones that have proven to be trouble prone, and costly to fix..I'd say the 7.3 IHC motor is the better of the two,but I know several people who own the 6.9 Ford diesel in 1 tons that haul lots of weight,and they are very happy with them..most have 200+ thousand miles on them,still running strong...

Any 4x4 truck for 1400 bucks this time of year is cheap!--especially ANY diesel!..be aware Fords (and Chevy's too!)seem to rot badly underneath those years,inspect the brake and fuel lines, and frame closely for rot..the 5 spd standard tranny's are a bit lame,my friend has put 2 in his ramp truck--but he doesn't exactly baby the truck either..he said finding a used one in decent shape was difficult..

I'd say that truck is worth it--you'll love the diesel for plowing,I like my 6.2 much better than a V8 gas motor..doesn't spin the wheels as easy,it just lumbers along and pushes snow like a bulldozer..

:crazy:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I think with 170hp, "running strong" is a completely relative term. :rolleyes:

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i just bought my first diesel last week :) i really like it. the previous owner put new dual exhuast with glass packs on it, and it sounds mean!

7. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Not sure what to do. Have a stock 90' K5 that's in decent shape and have put alot of new parts into to keep reliable. Picked up an 8' hyd plow setup last year and never installed, looks a little heavy for my little 1/2ton and probably needs some $$$/parts to get up for the job itself. Didn't really know what I was doing when I bought it as I've never plowed before. This year I can't put it off as I just finished my new polebarn/shop about 200' feet away from my original driveway. Neighbors have always plowed our old driveway when the garage was close to the road but this year it's all me if I want to get in and out of the new shop. Also am looking to pull a racecar trailer in the spring and really need an all around plow/tow monster...we know the "blazer as a tow vehicle" debate, and I really don't want to tear up my blazer with that 8' plow...did someone say they smelled 700R4 burning???:doah:
    Oh ya, and I'm running out of money.:o

8. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

As said, it would be a 6.9 IDI and they are very prone to cavitation. You might check with the boys over at oilburners.net they got a pretty strong IDI following over there.

9. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

Cavitation?

I disagree with the cavitation statement. 6.9 was less prone to it than the 7.3 due to a thicker cylinder wall thickness. Other than the cubic inches, the 6.9 and 7.3 are the same engines. Some very early 6.9s had a few head-bolt issues - but not many. When the 7.3s came out, that's when cavitation began to get noticed. Regardless though, they are both great engines - and somewhat better built than the 6.2s. And - I am NOT a Ford guy - even though I own a couple. I've got a 85 F250 4WD with the 6.9 IH diesel and a 94 F250 4WD with a 7.3 IDI turbo diesel - it is the very last of the IDI 7.3 series. It seems that the 6.9/7.3 series is a bit better built than the 6.2s - due to better quality block castings, better glow-plug system, and a gear-drive to the camshaft instead of the timing chain used in the 6.2. I've seen many 6.2s crack at the main bearing webs - and never seen it happen 6.9 or 7.3. But, 6.2s can be beefed up and usually get better fuel mileage than the Ford IH engines. But - Ford never put the engine in a light truck either, and the engines are a bit bigger than the 6.2.
    Cavitation is partly caused by vibration - making little air bubbles that bounce back and forth on the cylinder wall where it contacts coolant. The thicker the wall, the less cavitation. Also, the less harmonics, the less cavitation. The wall is, to a degree, protected from corrosion by a layer of - well - light corrosion that is somewhat inert. But, the air-bubbles hit and expose fresh metal - and the process goes on and on -and can sometimes put holes clear through the sleeves or cylinder walls. Coolant PH levels also affect the process. But - 6.9s IH Fords and 6.2 GMs are not prone to the problem. 7.3s can have a problem, but usually not if a good coolant conditioner is used.
    I've got over a dozen 6.2 vehicles - but after I had my first block crack in three places and the crankshaft go to pieces, I now build them with main-bearing web-girdle kits.

10. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Yes, but, nothing beats the sound of a strait piped cummins:D

11. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If that truck runs and drives well, it's a good deal, IMO. It won't have a lot of power, but it will have enough to do what you want to do with it, without tearing up your Blazer. I would expect small block power out of it that doesn't dissappear as quickly as the load gets heavier. It will also get good mileage. It's always nice to have a work truck around. If you can park it inside the shop during the winter, it would probably be easier on it.

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Can I get an AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!