Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sorry more newbie questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Aug 4, 2000.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Anyone have experience replacing their factory carpet? I am looking into restoring my historic shag to something presentable. I still dont understand the "loop" and "cut pile" is one better for cleaning up dirt?Is this a good time to install sound killing mat or is that a waste of time? If so, where are the key areas to do this? I am definitely going to treat and repair any rust or crud I find. Thanx.

2. balzer

balzer Registered Member

its nice to see someone that stays up late
    but anyways i just replaced my old carpet with the "cut-pile" carpet from jc-whitney and i was very pleased the cut pile is what you would see in any car today and i belive that the loop is what they used to used to use back in the day. i bought all the carpet for like $240. i was pleased

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

I recently did a makeover on the interior of mine.
    i laid down a layer of dynamat, then a layer of heat shield, then the new carpet from AutoCuatomCarpets (cut pile) very happy.
    loop are a mix of two (cant remember) something and nylon. very durable stuff and easy to clean.
    cut-pile, is more like home carpets and newer car. very comfortable, but needs a little extra attention.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you can get a carpet kit for your blazer from jc whitney and the like. a friend got a kit for his 74 ramcharger, and he was very pleased.
    definitely use sound insulation. it will help with heat and cold, too. i would insulate the whole enchilada. no sense messing around and doing half a job.
    and here's hoping that you don't find too much rust!

my guess is cut pile is single strands of carpet, and loop attaches both ends to the mat, so it loops.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. 87chvy4x4

87chvy4x4 Registered Member

u could just pull everything out and have it rhino lined

6. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

put new carpet in from auto custom carpets, think they're in Georgia or Alabama. That was in my old 83 toy , nice fit good quality, I'm definetly going to get my BLAZER rug through them, last time I looked it was about $400.00 for the whole truck.

MIDCAN k5

7. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I would definitely go with cut-pile. The loop carpet was used in the classic cars and is from what I have heard, hard to clean. Cut-pile also looks better. My dad has worked in the carpet business for about 20 years, and he has always says cut-pile is the best for automotive applications. I had my interior guy put cut-pile in mine. I don't where he got it from, but I reccomend auto custom carpets too. Here is a pic of my interior.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

8. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

Sorry you can't see the carpet good in that pic. I will see if i can find a better one.

9. ohio_frotyk5

ohio_frotyk5 Registered Member

I just recarpeted my interior and I got my carpet from LMC (Long Motor Company). For about $260.00 I got carpet for the whole Blazer including wheelwells and the little pieces that fit down where the seat belts bolt in, at the bottom. I had a little trouble with the wheelwells fitting but overall it looks alright. Not too bad for a first timer :) For padding underneath I used carpet padding from work with helped to insulate pretty well and deaden some noice from my dual glasspacks. Oh by the way, if you live in the rust belt, your bound to find some "holes" he he I did anyways. I used some tin and some chaulk to seal her off. Then I used pop rivets to hold her in place. It looked great but I went through 3 drill bits. Good Luck!

10. balzer

balzer Registered Member

hey cruisink5 thats a pretty good lookin interior i am redoing my interior on my 83 jimmy and have new carpet in and getting my seats covered in leather, what did you do to you dash, or is that the old one, and if you any interior tips at all feel free to throw them this way

11. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

The dash was covered in gray tweed then I had someone embroider "Heartbeat of America" on it. I have a lot of interior tips, but you have to be more specific(tips on what part). Just pick a part and I will be happy to give you all the tips I know, hey after all thats what this forum is about,right.[​IMG]

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Nice steering wheel Cruisink5.

.Riz.

13. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

hey riz and cruzin, do you like those steering wheels, i was lookin at getting one my self, how was the install, does the horn work, my buddies had other grants and could never grt the horns working. just curious, i really like the wat those wheels look.

14. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

How do you kept that carpet clean CruisinK5. It looks great but I had mine shot with Line-X color Blue. After mudding just hose it out. When I get a scanner I'll post the picture.

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I love mine. Your freinds must not have put the little contact strip in theirs for the horn. Mine works. The install was quite easy, just follow the instructions that comes with the wheel. Read them closely before you do anything because they can be a little confusing if you don't read them real well. I'm not a big fan of the big factory steering wheels, they're too thin and big in diameter for me. The grants are more comfortable. Good luck with yours if you get one.

L8r,

.Riz.

16. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I bought from Auto Custom Carpets too. Fit great, perfect color match. I also put sound deadener from Summit down.

17. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I have had three different styles of Grant steering wheels and I liked them all. Like riz said, they are smaller and the grip is thicker. Plus they look better than the stock ones. I did not have any problems with horn, just follow the instructions and you should be fine. Hey gassman you asked how do I clean my carpet. Well I have some stuff called CarpetAid+ that works really well, but I just try to step on the rubber mats when I get in.