Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sorry this is here again

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, May 14, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Well today my breaks put me into the sidewallof the interstate trying to miss an 18 wheeler that didnt use a blinker, and then we bounced back across three lanes of traffic. Everyone and the blazer is Ok except for a screwed up tire. The breaks grabbed to the left HARD and then they locked. i'm tired of playing with the drums. what year axels can i take knuckles off of? I have never taken an axle apart. I have the stock Dana 44 in the front 12 bolt in the back and no idea what gears. i think i need the entire knuckle out right. did i see someone say one time that i needed something machined? can i just swap from the axle out? Will any parts off a 2 wheel drive truck work? Can i keep my brand new booster and master or do i have to by diffrent ones. they are just the stock oem replacements. i know i need a proportioning valve. Can someone give me a list of parts so i can mutilate some truck when i find it. i would like to do what the good Dr. Steve did but i need it done as soon as possible and that will take a lot more time together parts.

thanks in advance

nathan

2. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure you can get to disc front by replacing from the knuckle out, though I'm not really sure. Hopefully others more knowledgable will chime in.

If you dont get answers here...try calling Border Parts in San Diego, CA. (619)461-0075 Ask for John.

He was way cool and helpful in telling me what I needed to convert to 8 lug and preparring for crossover. He sells new stuff at decent rates but you might be able to scrounge junk yards for the parts. The knuckles will probably be the hard part to find, esp flat top ones, if you need those.

Once you figure out what you need, you might want to email or PM me. I will likely have some 6 lug parts leftover like rotors, backing plate, spindles, etc. (not the calipers though)

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Does your '69 have open or closed knuckles? you could just swap in a '71 or newer front axle too.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can swap everything from the knuckles out (it would be best to get the knuckles too because I have heard they have a different clocking on the bolt pattern for the spindle). You can use D44 or 10B parts. You might be able to keep the booster but you will have to swap out the master and the prop. valve.

Parts List:
    71- Knuckles
    71- Spindle (the spindle and hub changed in 77...both will still work but the 77- have larger inner bearings)
    71- Backing plate and dust shield
    71-78 Calipers
    71-78 Brake lines (now would be a good time to go to stainless steel lines)
    71-?? Prop. valve (any front disc prop should work but might have different mounting)
    71-72 Master cylinder
    ??-?? Booster (I don't even know if yours would need to be changed...just bolt it up to the new master and see if it fits)
    71- Hub (71-76 or 77- depending to match the year of the spindle)
    Caliper bolts (4), banjo bolts (2), and other misc. stuff.
    I don't know if your spindle nuts will work but your hubs will.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

triaged
    Ok thanks for the parts list. I am going to get on the phone now and see what i can find around here.

1blazin 71 i might be contactying you. i can probably find everything i need here, but thanks for the offer.

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

just get the complete front d44 axel off a 71-78

ARQ.

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a whole D44 out of my 1972 blazer with disk breaks. I am going to throw a away if you do not want the whole thing or let me know what parts you need.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i sent you an email

nathan