Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sorta Crystal Mtn trip report-you're gonna want to read this!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Feb 4, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Why are you gonna want to read this?

How about this:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to a friendly passerby with a winch, good old Aussie locker, and Holley truck avenger this is how the trucks looks now:
    [​IMG]

So here's the story.

We didn't even make it to the trail. Pulled off the road onto the access road and hit a super icy patch. James remember the ice at the gate? It's gotten bigger.:doah:

I started up the hill and it was a solid sheet of ice under the snow. I reached a point where I started to spin. As the tires spun I slid back down the hill. I hit the brakes and didn't stop slidin' til we were off the road in the creek bed.:yikes:

Liam was with me,but we were both okay. He's already telling the story. This is going to be worse than the time I got stuck in the snow. Liam said he had fun.:o

Thank goodness I put that false floor in the back. Kept all my tools and stuff from going everywhere.

A guy came along with a winch and he was my hero for the day.:bow: We had to rope a pulley to a tree to get the right angle on the pull. Got the truck back on the tires. Believe it or not, it fired right up and ran sitting on that sidehill - that's why I was thanking the Truck Avenger earlier.

The guy kept pressure on the winch and I locked the hubs and the General gave 'er hell. We inched our way back up onto the road.

I had to add 2qts of oil, it leaked out the side of the motor. Through the breather I guess. Other than that, I was back on the road and drove the truck home.

The damage? One more dent, broken passenger window in the top, and the top itself is broken where the side window seals.

Anybody got a top they can get before next weekend?:wink1:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Youch!!!!!

I'm very glad you and Liam are ok, that first picture looks really bad. :eek1:

I remember the ice patch very well, pretty damn spooky. I'm amazed the damage is so light considering.

There was a guy on CO4X4 giving away a top for free IIRC, I'll go check for you. Also a guy giving away 74 Chevy truck doors. Let me check I might have a passenger side door glass.

ADDY:

Doors - http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=55169

Okay the only top I see over there is for 67-72. Some guy did have the later style but that was before the CO4x4 changed the for sale section to the bastardized version. I know there is a decent Blazer top at pull-n-save because I was out there last week.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

One of us needs a winch. I might make that my next priority.

4. mrk5

I don't need door glass. I walked all over it, but it didn't break.

Thank God I have the kind of wife that just laughed and commented that we were wanting a new top anyways.

I just look at that first picture and can't believe I drove the truck home.

5. mrk5

That's what Nicole and I were just talking about. I had underestimated their importance until today.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Let me know if you want help replacing anything, I'll drive up. I have the C10 pick-up if you need to transport a used top from the boneyard.

7. mrk5

I'm going to try and talk my father-in-law into coming with me to the local u-pull-it and get a top. I'm pretty sure there's on there.

Then I'm planning to install it Wednesday evening. I might need your help then.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That sucks man. Glad you are all ok. Winches are definitly an important piece of equipment to have for recover needs. If you need to borrow a top for awhile you can borrow mine. It is just sitting on my truck chilling in my garage. It will be sitting there for a few more months till I return home from North Dakota.

If you need to borrow my top for awhile let me know. I can get my girlfriend to open the garage up so you can get at it. PM me or give me a call if you need to.

Harley

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

DOOOOOD!

I would have bet $1,000 I was going to be the first one of us to do that!

I can just hear Liam telling the story now :haha:, man I'm really glad everything worked out with no damange to people and minimal damage to the truck :thumb:

:doah: :doah: :doah:

I've been TELLING you about their importance (on my truck) for how long? :dunno: :ignore:

Hey guess what...I've got Wednesday and thursday off of work so I can help you with whatever too.

P.S. When I got your PM I thought "Deathwobble"....but this is way better! :deal:

10. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good lord, no wonder my beard keeps getting whiter! I suppose I'll have the hair on my head start turning white next.:whistle: :whistle: :saweet: :yikes: I'm planning a little excursion over to the China Wall trailhead tomorrow to see how much snow they have had over there! If we can't run China Wall I'm pretty sure we could do Old Chinamans Gulch and if that isn't possible FR 300 from Basam Park down to Ruby mountain has a couple of fun spots including a stepped waterfall. You can also access Old Chimans and Carnage from this road.

fred2mihi aka whitebeard (now)

11. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a spare top in Aurora if you cant find one at the junkyard. :D

Z

12. mrk5

Thanks for the offer! I was just searching out your old thread about parting out the '84. I was looking to see if you had the top listed in there.:wink1:

13. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I dont think I had it listed. I originally planned on cutting it up and making a shortened cab. But I dont think I will get to that project anytime soon.:doah: Its yellow/gold with tinted sliders in it. If you want it we can arrange some time to pick it up, but I cant help you load it up. I dont get back from over here in the sandbox for another month. :D

Z

14. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

That icy spot was cool. My buddy and I went up there last weekend and there was this 03' TJ that would have ended up in that exact spot except for the fact we were there and tossed him a strap and pulled him past it.Soft 37"s and lockers helped us a lot.How far did you get? When we got to the crossroads all the trails were closed but the left one and it was closed a mile or so down.

15. mrk5

We didn't go any further than that.

We thought about going on to Sevenmile because it was only noon by the time I was out. But I really just wanted to home after what happened.

16. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Damn Scott. Glad everyone is not busted up. If you can't find a top but you could use a replacement window, I have an extra passenger side one for you.

Maybe you better let Liam start doing the driving for you!

17. mrk5

I'm trying to talk Nicole into driving China Wall next weekend. :wink1:

18. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

how is sevenmile right now? I've been trying to get up there since I got my engine broken in. Last I heard (december) it was open.

19. mrk5

If you look at colorado4x4.org, there's a trip report from the last couple of weeks. It's open as far as I know.

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Crap Scott, glad you and Liam are OK. I just talked the wife into letting Cate (2 yr. old) go with me on an easy run in the desert, don't think I'll be showing her your pics.