Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sortof figured out why I'm confused

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 15, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

sortof figured out why I\'m confused

I've read the tech articles on the caliper grinding of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton and the 6 to 8 lug conversion on the D44/10bolt front. If I convert my 10 bolt front to 8 lug, which according to the article does NOT mean I need to change out the calipers, will I need to still grind the caliper down to fit 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing on them? That's the confusing part. I guess I just don't understand the difference between D44, 10 bolt, 6 and 8 lug, and D60 calipers/backing plates? I can sort of fathom a taller backing plate with a bigger radius rotor and wider pads in a 3/4 ton vs. a 1/2 ton, but I guess I am confused there.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Re: sortof figured out why I\'m confused

No grinding is needed, they are the same size ... just a difference in lug nut count. Here's some more info on the differences.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Let me try and clear some things up:

[ QUOTE ]
    If I convert my 10 bolt front to 8 lug, which according to the article does NOT mean I need to change out the calipers, will I need to still grind the caliper down to fit 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct in that you can use the same calipers (from your 6 lug 10 bolt) on your 8 lug 10 bolt. The difference lies in the size of the backing plate. When you swap on 8 lug stuff, you're swapping from the spindles out...so, that's backing plate, rotors, and hubs. On a 3/4 ton front axle (8 lug), the rotors are larger (better braking), so you have a larger backing plate, and thus the caliper interferes with the rim.
    In answer to your question directly: yes, with 4" of backspacing and a 3/4 ton front axle (10 bolt or D44), you WILL have to grind. I would venture to say anything less than 3" of backspacing and you won't have to grind.

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I just don't understand the difference between D44, 10 bolt, 6 and 8 lug, and D60 calipers/backing plates? I can sort of fathom a taller backing plate with a bigger radius rotor and wider pads in a 3/4 ton vs. a 1/2 ton, but I guess I am confused there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much explained that above, but it sounds like you've got the basic concept. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Because you use the same calipers makes me understand.

Thanks