Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sound dampening

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by caleb22, Oct 31, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I like the way my 89 sounds on the outside, I just want to quiet it down on the inside. Is there some cost conscious materials I can use to accomplish this? Matting under the carpet or maybe insulation in the panels/doors?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

rug!

All Gm uses is "Jute" padding like they put under carpeting ..you could use foam too,like they use under carpets..I put that "Bubble Wrap" packing material I found at a warehouse where I got free pallets for firewood in my 79 C10 under the carpet--it cut the noise level down a lot,and it helps keep salt off the floors too.--I noticed much more heat in the cab now in the colder weather too..I haven't looked to se if it "sweats" underneath it though,my floors are galvanized 16 ga steel,so it probably won't matter anyway...I wouldn't use fiberglass house insulation..a shag rug,or one with a foam backing goes a long way to quiet road noise..

You can buy "sound deadening mats" at most body shop supply stores,but its pretty costly..looks like a hunk of roofing felt with tar on it if you ask me... :p: ..it does work good though.. :crazy:

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

There is also sound-deadening material like...dynamat...I believe that is the name. Crutchfield should sell it. It is used to deaden the outside noises to keep a clear sound stage for a stereo install. The stuff comes in sheets of different sizes and different levels of sound quality. I'm not sure what it is made out of, but I'm sure it can be "mimicked" with some sort of foam...

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do a search in the "Audio" forum for the term

Polymeric Mastic

It's a generic version of Dynamat. Works great for about 1/6 the price. Sold my McMaster-Carr. You should be able to find all the part numbers, etc with the search results you get. :thumb:

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Sweet, I had no clue of that stuff. I didn't realize how loud this truck actually is after not driving my old 944 for 2 1/2 months prior to owning this truck...I drove my roommates Dodge Ram last week and was so suprised at not hearing anything from outside the car. It doesn't look like I'll be using sound-deadening on my rig as I plan on removing the top during summers so keeping it quiet won't be necessary.

6. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

Thx Greg, sounds like what I'm looking for. With the strong adhesive backing I'm sure that will help around corners also.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

There is also this stuff, Quiet Car. This is a roll on , bed liner type stuff.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used foam insulation (think home) between the headliner and the roof. Works great and was cheap.

9. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of putting bedliner on my floorboards. Shouldn't that quite the cab some?

10. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

If you buy mat, only buy butyl rubber based. The older asphault based (sometimes called mastic) stuff cannot even compare to the newer butyl rubber stuff.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:eek1: I read the title as "sound dampening" and the first thing that came to mind was "Put the pillow FIRMLY over her mouth"

sorry :D

12. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    What wont hold water? most sound dampeners have little air pockets as air and objects help to deaden sound, solids carry sound faster. if i drown my car (same reason why i am putting an all marine sound system in) those mats will act like spunges and rust out. anything else?

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Get some closed cell foam sleeping pads, sold for camping. They're cheap and won't absorb water. Cut to fit and glue into place. I'm planning to put it on the walls behind the rear side panels on my Suburban, as well as inside the rear barn doors.

Years ago I put R13 house insulation down both sides of a Blazer, behind the rear side panels. It made the interior a LOT quieter!

14. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Yep, any closed cell foam will not absorb/hold water, because well, the cells are closed. ;) This is also the superior type to open cell foams for sound deadening/absorbtion. Basically what Im saying is you should only use closed cell type foams for this type of stuff anyway, and it wont cause any problems with holding water.

This also holds true with sprayable expanding foam. They make both types, only use closed cell types.

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    You ever actually fill anything with that? Like the inside sidewall ccavities? Hadn't thought of that. Seems like it would strengthen it quite a but vs. weuight, although it might float :). What if rust is already there? Won't spraying it over it or attaching it to it allow it to continue to rust?