Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sound dead - dynomat

Discussion in 'Audio' started by khotmer, Sep 30, 2003.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

Just htought i would give everyone an old tip. It may have been covered but here is a cheap solution for sound deading your cab.

Roofing tar paper and 3M spray adhisive. 2 layers is equal to dynomat and is 1/10 the cost.
    I have had good luck with it and it applys easy.....

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Polymeric Mastic from McMaster Carr is also a good economical choice, and it already has a strong adhesive on it!!! About 1/6th the price of Dynamat IIRC.

I've been spending a LOT of quality time with this product lately. So far I've installed two layers throughout the Suburban floor area (something like 5 or 6 full sheets) and I still want to do the quarterpanels and inner door skins.

It's already made a BIG difference in noise reduction. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah Greg is right there, I put about 10 sheets in my Jimmy. WOW what a difference! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just use a heat gun to make sure it sticks well, and it helps it fit to the contours.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thanks for the info greg, my current rig is noisy as hell, and I dont mind it at all.. but at some point when the S-10 cab goes on Im gonna make it sorta civilized (yeah, trying to get the woman to wheel with me!) so maybe this would help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I plan on Line-X'ing the cab inside and out, that oughta help quite a bit too. At any rate, thanks,

j

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I used some of that stuff in my roof of my s-10. I used some noise killer paint, some peel & seal roofing material as well as the padding (more to insulate heat than sound but it does help the sound some as well).

I just finished doing the floor of my s-10 in the same way (4 layers of the paint, 1 of the roofing material, 2 layers of padding, and the carpet). Along with the other work already done I almost can't hear my exhaust leak /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Next I just have to do carpet and padding on the back wall and the doors...should sound if not like a Lexus maybe more like a new truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. The only thing I have had a hard time getting rid of is wind noise around the windshield...don't know what I can do about that.

7. I bought 2 70 sq foot rolls of brown bread and covered the entire floor and up the sides of my Sub. Didnt have enough for the doors or roof, but it made a big difference.

8. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Polymeric Mastic from McMaster Carr is also a good economical choice, and it already has a strong adhesive on it!!! About 1/6th the price of Dynamat IIRC.

I've been spending a LOT of quality time with this product lately. So far I've installed two layers throughout the Suburban floor area (something like 5 or 6 full sheets) and I still want to do the quarterpanels and inner door skins.

It's already made a BIG difference in noise reduction. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having a difficult time finding that product on their web page, can you give me a link to the actual page of the product? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

10. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

i tried lytherm. kind of expensive, but it is super quiet inside. extra benefit is that no heat comes throught either. nice in texas!

11. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

some other really good and cheap sounddeadeners check out edesign's EDEAD its 60 mils thick and easy to use and sticks to anything and another one is rammat also 60mils thick and pretty cheap

12. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I checked on my hunch today....Torch down roofing ....its -3/16 thick ,3' wide ,36' long and 50 bucks a roll ....available at your roofing supply store ...get it without granuals...It wount absorb any water too!!
    I have thought of using ....Pergo flooring cushining or the rubber membrain that is used under tile shower pans ...,both avaiable at home depot !!!