Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sound deadning material?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I remember a previous post about the sound deadning material used for the diesels- as far as I can tell, some of it is still in my truck, and others, not.

I have a "thin" insulation against my firewall- it is coated with a plastic surface. THen I also have a thick insulation on top of that, but only on the passenger side.

Am I missing a piece from the drivers side?

On the interior, i have the "W/T" truck, so it didnt come with carpet, but with a plastic flooring. I plan on removing it and cleaning out the bottom (there's some muck under there!) but I know toward the firewall I am also missing some insulation (and also empty on the side).

Is there a particular "diesel" floor insulating matt? Or is the one from LMC the only avaliable? A lot of the noise comes from the transmission tunnel and the "boot" area.

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In a word, Dynamat. Jute padding works fairly well, but lay down some dynamat first, then some jute, and you won't hear anything but the sweet sounds of silence. Dynamat is some expen$ive $tuff, but well worth the investment in the long run.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Should I be concerned with the firewall on the engine side?

Time to find some dynomat cheap!

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For the firewall, I would replace the factory insulation with high temp Dynamat. Its got the reflective stuff on one side similar to what came factory on our 96. I think it comes with an adhesive, but if not, the spray on 3M high strength is some good stuff.

I know that sounds like a shameless marketing plug, but dynamat really is the best stuff out there. For guys like us that love our trucks, and plan on keeping and using them for a long while then this stuff is a good value.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Being able to hear myself after a while is worth the cost!

I found a place online that sells 36 sq feet of dynomatt in 1ft squares for 200 bucks. Seems reasonable to me, unless someone knows of a cheaper place. If it can keep out heat and and sound for my whole cab, it will be worth it!!!

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

What about that paint on stuff they were talking about in the restoration forum? I hear it works just as well if not better than Dynamat and is cheaper too. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif