Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sound difference

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Confederate9, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

what would be the sound difference in having subs in the rear cargo area or under the seats.
    right now i have 2 10"s in in the rear cargo area, and was wondering about how it would sound if i moved them under the seats.
    would it sound good to have 2 10"s in the cargo area AND add 2 8inch subs under the seats?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I think the Sub-under-seat idea has been discussed before, im pretty sure that we decided it is too much trouble for your gain to put them under the seat. not saying you cant do it tho.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Conf,

I'll go a slightly different way in answering your questions.

First, the physical location of the subwoofer in the truck will not make it sound any different. The wavelengths of low bass are too long for them to be affected by "phasing issues" or "standing waves" in the confines of a vehicle.....so just put them wherever you think is best.

Second....are you aware that by doubling the number of speakers (in this case subwoofers) you gain +3dB of extra sound pressure (loudness)?? However, you can also get that same +3db a lot more easily by simply building ported enclosures for your existing subwoofers.....their efficiency will improve and give you the same "loudness" as 4 subwoofers in a sealed box.

Something else to think about.....