Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sound insulation

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by nevercomplete, Jun 13, 2003.

1. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to put carpet in my suburban when I get home. Before that I want to put down some sound insulation. The question is does anyone know about how many square feet I will need. I plan on doing the entire floor of the truck.

Thanks, Jon

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Approximately 90 sq. ft /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. nevercomplete

Thanks...Thats about what I thought.

Jon

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. nevercomplete

I take it you've done this same thing? Any suggestions?

Jon

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No i actually haven't, but I am planning it eventually. But already had the square footage figured out for when i was ready to do it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. nevercomplete

Oh ok...Where are you planning on getting your stuff from...I'm planning on getting mine here www.1aautomotive.com

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That was the only place i had looked at so far /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I used the reflective sound insulating stuff from www.cheyennepickup.com in my K5, just another option for you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A buddy of mine turned me on to a product called "Brown Bread". I found it on its website (do a search-my link is in my 'puter at work) and there is alot of useful info/testimonials on the site. Many say that this stuff makes the Dynamat pale in comparison. I emailed a couple questions about my application (72 Sub tin can with a Cummins) and received a quick reply laden with good technical info. Might be worth a look-see. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Take a look in the Audio Forum. There is several posts on sound proofing.

12. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

think you could post that email??

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here it is:

I am installing a Cummins Diesel engine into a 1972 Suburban. I have already installed heat insulation (double sided aluminum with an acrylic looking substance sandwiched between the aluminum) on the inside of the firewall and under the passenger area (front and rear seating area). I am rather confused by reading all of your product info as to what I should use, at this point, to achieve my goals here. I am looking to reduce interior noise levels as well as heat from the engine compartment and exhaust. Does your Brown Bread work as thermal insulation or is it only for sound?? If it does not function well as a thermal barrier can I install it over or under the insulation I already have?? I will probably need a whole lot of "whatever I need" as I would like to line the rear quarter panels with something to cut exhaust and mud-tire noise. The rear cargo area of the Suburban is about 7/8" plywood (factory equipment). I know wood insulates heat fairly well but I have never dealt with wood when it comes to noise dampening. Do you think I will need something besides normal carpet underlay and a rubber floor mat?? I would appreciate any information you could provide me to help quiet this truck down some.
    Thank you for your time.
    Nick

Nick,

To combat noise, I would suggest Brown Bread throughout the vehicle to control structural borne noises, such as rattles, resonances, vibrations and also to slow the propogation of road/engine/exhaust noise into the cabin. Brown Bread needs to be installed directly to the sheet metal (and wood) in order to perform effectively. It's primarily designed for noise reduction, but the aluminum backing does help with heat rejection.

For even better reduction of road/engine/exhaust noise, I would suggest a layer of Lcomp (or Vcomp) over top of the Brown Bread on the floor and lower interior firewall to absorb and block airborne noises.

The combination of Brown Bread and Vcomp/Lcomp will work very well to reduce the noise coming into the vehicle. In areas where you're also applying the heat insulation, I would recommend Brown Bread first, followed by the insulation and finally the Vcomp/Lcomp (then underlay, carpet, etc.)

Thanks for your interest in B-Quiet. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Wade
    --
    B-Quiet Sound Deadening Materials
    http://www.b-quiet.com/