Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sound like dead battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 6, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well we finally got the 305 and trany and t-case and drive shafts all put in and tonight we wanted to try and crank it over ....i thought the battery was good..cuase i was just listing to the radio in the truck befor hand (with out engine on)..and it was just in my dads truck. when we turned the key you could hear the starter make a click, and a rrr kinda sound..?(i know the starter is good)...could it be the battery? or something else... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

use a multimeter and check battery voltage.should be above 12 and close to 13 volts.if battery is less than 12 volts try jump starting it.if after engine is running voltage should go up between 13 and 14 volts.run the engine for at least 2 or three minutes if the battery volts is at 13 or 14 volts.then unplug distributor and crank engine for a few seconds.check battery volts again.should still be above 12 volts.if it drops under 12 volts and doesnt come back up you have a bad battery.i just did the same thing with the wifes car. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .it was a dead battery.now car runs fine.it wouldn't crank very well because one or more cells in the battery were fried.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The battery could still have enough power to run the stereo but not the starter. Most stereos pull around 3-20 amps, not mine /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , but the starter pulls around 100-150 amps. Just because the voltage is above 12 volts doesnt necessarily mean its not dead or low. You need to check the voltage when you're trying to start it if possible, this should usually be in the low 11 volts or high 10s.