Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sound system and bench seat questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Aug 13, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Got my new shortbed finally. Lovin' it!

Anyway it's all blue with a blue interior but has a burgundy color vinyl bench [which is in great shape, don't wanna replace] Is there any spray paint that can change the color of vinyl permanently?

Now for my MAIN important question.

How many of you have subwoofers mounted behind a bench seat? How did you do it, got any pics? How does it sound?

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Even top of the line vinyl paint won't work so great on a seat. The vinyl flexes too much, and the paint will eventually wear or flake off. You'd be better off getting a cloth cover for it.

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it's a tight for for subs back there you can fit a good size 12" back there if you put the seat all the way forward .....you might also check the audio forum

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I had 4 10's behind the seat of my F-250 but I set pretty far forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, in a standard cab truck, with a well built enclosure, you really dont need more than a single 10. i had a trio of 8s behind the seat of my truck in HS, only because i got the box for free. sounded just fine. then i put a single JL 10 behind the seat, and it was a night and day difference. i had a buddy with a pair of 12s behind his seat, and it was just too overbearing.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has one of these under the seat of his reg cab Ranger. It has surprisingly strong output for the small size. I think Best Buy has them, so you could give one a listen.

9. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

lol...this is turning out to be a pain. Is there space under the seat for a pair of 10's? Then I wanna put 6.5's in the doors, an 800 ish watt amp and i'll be good.

I can't put something behind the seat that'll make me have to put it way forward...i'm 6'3. 4 speed too...would really be a hassle.

10. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

im in the same boat as you, there isn't enough room for under the seat that i can admagion have no idea it would work.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i wouldnt put anything over $20 or $30 in the doors. door seals, mirror holes, and handles tend to leak. not only that, there are holes along the bottom of the door. you're basically exposing them to the elements if you put them down there. plus, its very easy to get into the window mechanism if you mount them too high. ask me how i know. i've got a set of 3.5" brackets for each dash corner, and a set of 4x10 cab corner brackets that im goint to put into my '77.

12. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Kicker panels? This is a pain in the ass...I want a nice sound system in my truck. I"m pretty much screwed on the subs..Unless I put my captain chairs in her and put like a single 15 in the middle.

Being 17 years old though keeping the bench is pretty appealing. lol.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about instead of putting 2 10s back there put on very high quality 10 back there. Besides that you will need to go to some audio stores some subs work well in small enclosures some need freeking huge bandpass boxes. Being that tall and a 4 speed truck you might have to sacrifice the 2 tens. Like I said quality can make up for quanity in speakers in most trucks

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

kick panel enclosures, reverse a set of factory 4x10 brackets (drivers on passenger side, passengers on drivers) and you can mount a pair of 6x9s in them, then mount a GOOD QUALITY 10 right in the middle of the back of the seat. you're in a tight enclosed space, a single 10 will be more than adequate.

you mention wanting a nice sound system, and a 15 in the same post. the only things a 15 is good for are rattling your ghetto cruiser apart, and getting your **** broken into.

15. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

I really don't know if this will work in a pickup, but I mounted my speakers (just mids) in ammo cans. I was really worried that the sound would be way too metallic, but they sounded pretty good.

16. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I don't understand the whole factory 4x10 thing you mentioned. My kicker panels have nothing at all on them? Hmm...and a single 10 or 12 might be the better way to go.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here are the kick panel enclosures.
    [​IMG]
    you can find them here. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-04pseWuXrvp/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=182850

as for the 4x10 brackets, if your truck isnt equipped with them, find a truck in the junkyard that is. when you remove the brackets, make sure you note which side is which. install the passenger side bracket on the drivers side, and the drivers side bracket on the passenger side. then you'll need to do a little cutting, but a 6x9 speaker will fit where the 4x10 was originally.

18. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

It looks like I'll destroy that thing getting at the clutch. Damnit. Should have stuck with my K5.

19. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I put two 4" speakers right in the dash. you need to do some metal removal, and finessing, but they went in there and look pretty good too. I also stuck a 6"er in each door. you need to do more metal removal, and make a spacer, but they work damn good, and sound terrific. I was thinking about a sub, but I don't want my steering wheel rubbing on my chin. it is just a bitch routing the wires from the door to your amp/sterio.

20. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

this pretty much is relying on what kinda of music you listen to if its metal-punk-rock shiot like that go with a sealed inclosure and if you want something for all types go with a ported box if you want some stupid rediculess bass people can hear a mile away but sounds like total ass and rattles your whole car go with a bandpass but anywho if your looking for something like a 12"sub with 3.75" mounting depth pioneer makes it for around 200-250$ you can get away with alot on that shiot and it still hits just as well as a regular 12"sub from pioneer and if its a sealed box then you can also get away with like 6"depth and around 14-15" tall-wide also rockford fosgate makes the "P28s4" and "p28s8" both 8"sub with 4"depth for around 110$ lol but i get them on discount for 27.50$ but shhh