Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sound system

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chsblazer84, Sep 19, 2005.

1. chsblazer84

chsblazer84 Registered Member

well i looked forever and finally found my blazer. its an 84 k5 silverado with a gm 350 swapped in. i purchased it about a mouth ago and it has been nothing but awesome. mechanically and body wise it is perfect. however the speakers are the stock speakers and they are pretty much worse than having no speakers. the one on the driversd side in the dash just doesnt work at all and the rest of them are so fuzzy that i dont even play music when i drive it.

ive been looking around for new speakers and a new head unit to put into it and have run into a few probablems.

first, i need to know what types of head units i can put in place of the stock one becaue it is a very akward size and i would like to know how to put a standard cd player in it or a tape player and have a multi-cd chager in the center console.

second, im planning on cutting all of the stock speakers and putting kick panels in and also speakers right in front of the rear bench on both sides. i was wondering if anyone knew where to get kick panels or a k5 at a good price or just where to get them in general.

i appreciate anything anyone can help me out with and also if anyone has any ideas or has done a sound system in their own truck ide love it hear about.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, the head unit is actually a standard size, just about anything will fit in there, as far as speakers, you could just re-use the stock locations, with better quality speakers, this is what i did, and am very happy with it.

Although, i did have the 4x10 removed from the rear side panels, had a plate made up, and installed 6x9's in there, they sound much better.

Even when i don't have the 2-15" Kicker CompVR's pounding next to them :D

3. chsblazer84

can u give me website where you purchased your new speakers?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

uh, i just went to a local mom n pop store, the people were really nice, and knowledgable about all types of equipment, i tried to stay away from the big stores, like Circuit City, Audio Express, Best Buy, they always only want to sell you whats either on sale, or what THEY think is cool.

I went with Kicker brand speakers, all the way around, because i wanted things to be uniformed, the same, but if i would do it again, and someday i just might, i am leaning more towards the Memphis brand speakers and amps, after everything was already installed and done, i heard some of these Memphis speaks,,they are really clean, and require less power to run this clean than some other brands, including the Kickers.

They are a really nice,efficient speaker, good quality sound and a decent price for the item you get, I love my Kickers,,but they are DEFINATELY power hungry.

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i replaced the 3.5" speakers in the dash with 3.5" infinitys, cut out the hole in the back to fit some 6 by 9" infinitys on each side, and i am also running two 6" speakers in the kickers.

i just cut a hole and brought it out with some ply wood, and wrapped it in some cloth.

oh and with the correct plastic dealy you can fit all kinds of headuints in your blazer.

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

you can get an adapter for the head unit

im puttin in 3.5" infinity kappa speakers in the dash of my 91(via ebay for 66 bucks shipped)

4x10s will not be used

6x9 bostons will be put in the walls by the rear seat.(the bostons were awesome in my s10)

and two 10" subs and amp iin the back(takes away some cargo space but oh well! It all goes in this week(thursday hopefully)

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

www.ebay.com

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much do you want too spend ?? In a 84 K5, I would think about getting some Q-Forms [​IMG] with a set of Infinity Kappa perfects. For up front, and modifie the side panels for a matching set of speakers in the rear. Add a subwoofer and amps, with a good head unit. But that's not the cheapest way too go.

9. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

On my 85 i had to cut the dash for the head unit to fit. I run a Premier 750mp. I have kicker k60's in the front which are a coaxial speaker. They are mounted in the kick panels. I used a nibbler to cut the holes. I think it sounds pretty good. I want to run 6x9s in the back but i havent got around to buyin em yet so I run the factory rears. However I cant hear the rear highs much anyways because the 3 fosgate 12's dround everything else out. I can take pictures of the install if needed.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

This is what I have in my K5.pioneer DPH 77 I like it! Exact same size as the stock din and 1/2 unit. It was a simple install with no adapting. Un did a couple of screws and the nut in the back. Slid the old unit out slid the new in uses the stock monting locations. With a wireing adapter it is Pretty much plug and play. Looks like a stock install. Sounds great. Doesn't skip. Has all the outputs/controls for amp and input for multi CD changer. 45Wx4 power.
    Running pioneer speakers in front and Infinity 6x9s in the back.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Whan I put a cd player in my daughters 85 I found the install kit at autozone for 11.00. I went to best buy to get the kit first and they told me I had to cut the dash. When I asked their "expert" installer why I would have to cut the dash for a single din radio when it was set up for a double din radio from the factory, he said "You just do". Hmmm the hole is twice as big as the radio but I still have to cut ,hmmmm. Idiot. Because my floor is sometimes under water I went the cheap route with mine. I went to pepboys and bought a speakerbox with speakers(6") for 14.99 and got a mail in rebate for 5.00. Hooked up a headunit that was collecting dust in the garage to the box and the factory fronts.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i forgot to mention in there when i said that just about anything will fit in there, about the adapter plate/kit you'd need for it, DOH! :doah:

Not at a hard task to tackle on your own though. :waytogo:

13. 87k10

87k10 Registered Member

2 rockford fosgate 12's w/ 1500w amp. bridged for me. it will make your ears bleed if you turn it up all the way. I also have 2 mb quarts in the front to balance out all the bass. kicker sucks, i blew 2 10's (the soloberics) and never used kickers again.

14. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the Q-Forms Kick Panels with 6.5" MB Quart Seperates (the Q-forms had to be modified to fit them b/c the Q-Form really doesn't accept a 6.5" mid-driver from the front side, you have to mount it from the back) and the new Polk Audio MOMO series 6.5" Seperates (tweeter is centered on the grille cover of the mid-range) in some custom boxes I made for the rear wheel-wells that fire forward. Put in 2 JL Audio 12W1s and powered it with Alpine (mids/his) and Total (subs) amps. It sounds phenomenal. Extremely clear, loud, and the bass will make your face itch. The source unit is an Alpine with a flip-down face that has way more controls on it than I will ever use. It all sounds really good. This set-up is NOT the cheapest route, but it sure does sound good!

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well that would be YOUR opinion now, wouldn't it.

Guess you really need to do your research on your equipment. :rolleyes:

16. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Sorry to Hijack, but how did you not have to cut your dash to fit a cd player in there.

In my 87 GMC Jimmy (full size) the factory radio was the type where it was a single "DIN" high, but the radio attached to the dash by way of two nuts that threaded over the volume and tuning knobs, with a small rectagle in the middle, where the tape player and tuning "display" were. When you removed the gauge surround to get to bare metal and removed the deck, I was left with a small rectangle (standard DIN high x about 1/2 DIN wide) with two circles on either side. The opening is not a double DIN in these trucks (it wasn't on my parents old 87 Jimmy or on my old 76 C20). When I did my install, I had to cut out the dash (I used a dremmel tool) to make the retangular opening the standard DIN width. If you didn't have to cut your dash, please post the year and model of your truck.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's the truck in his profile, not sure what year they did change over (probably '88) but I suspect he has one of the "digital" radios. Only took trucks about 8 years to catch up to the cars. :)

18. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

If only CK5 had an Audio forum .... :thinking:

:D

19. chsblazer84

What kind of adapters do i need and also where might i pick em up. Also where might i pick up the q-form kick panels.

Also i have looked on ebay and havent found much in terms of speakers so if someone could link me to the infinity speakers ide appreciate it.

20. chsblazer84

If its not too much trouble on your part i would love to see some pictures of your setup and how you installed.