Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sounds great, Just need more BASS!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hey guys, I installed the boxes I got for my 6X9's and it sounds a LOT better (I just had em sitting on the wheel well because the holes weren't workable for any speakers), sharper sound, more volume, and the best part is I have some bass... Next step is, of course, getting more BASS... What kind of amp and what size box is recommended for one 12" sub... I'm on a semi-tight budget (I can shell out the big bucks, but if I do I won't be able to make my truck LOOK nice as soon as I'd like), and want some good sharp bass going on...

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well alot depends on the sub you buy. Each sub will have it own recommended power, air space, and box design.

As for a general rule... If you are wanting to add just one 12 this is what i would recommend you look into...
    1. Decent quality dual voice coil 12 (4 ohm each voice coil)
    2. mono block amp (one channel only)

Mono block amps can be picked up a little cheaper then two channel amps. The reason behind a dual voice coil is simple. When you wire the sub into the mono block you wire it to configure to a 2 ohm load this way you will get the most out of the amp.

Hope some of this helps... As for what brands you should look at.. Well only you can decide what you like the sound of.. You will have to go to a store and just listen to different subs till you find something you like... As for the amp... Look into fosgate, alpine, jl audio (kinda pricey but well worth the money), kenwood, kicker, etc...
    Stay away from amps that usually look to good to be true.. I.E. Boss, legecy, mobile authority, thump, etc. These amps are a very low level amp and basically you will end up getting what you pay for it you know what i mean.

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Give Adire Audio Shiva Subs a look. Dual 8ohm VC's so you an wire it to 4ohm mono on a two channel amp. Pick yourself up an amp that'll do 250ish+ watts into 4ohms (much cheaper than a mono block amp) and you've got a good clean system that looks plain jain (don't judge a shiva by its looks) Not sure the rules for posting links so if i'm in the wrong here some one let me know.... http://www.ampmanaudio.com I think a Shiva is like 125 bucks, the tempest(15's) are only 150. For amps i suggest rockford as i've used em and was very pleased with them. A single 250a2(.2 s2 whatever the heck they are labeling them as) now should run it just fine.