Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sounds in front end....differential?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by globaljames, Dec 1, 2005.

1. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

I have a 1994 S-10...

A sound has come to my attention that concerns me....I have also apparently lost some fluid somewhere....

It sounds like a rubbing/vibrating, and "feels" like its holding the truck back...

I hear it most of the time, but have noticed that I DON'T hear it when the tranny is not being worked (coasting downhill/coasting level)

VERY bad when going uphill....

This is in 2 wd....4 wd WILL engage...

I've never taken my front end apart before, but I don't mind giving it a go...

I have the manual...

Any insight into what this might likely be?

Thanx!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Before you tear every thing apart check all the front end wear components. Ball joints, Idler arm, tie rods. Another common problem i have seen on theses is the torsen bar rubber mount breaking which can cause some front end noise.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't see how it could be front end related when it changes depending on if you're under a load or coasting down a hill. It's gotta be in the drivetrain that's in USE if it's louder up a hill than it is down a hill. Probably in you tranny, I know mine is getting noisy. I don't know what tranny you have, but if it's a T5 like mine, I probably know what noise you're talking about.