Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sounds like a leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88GLAZER, Oct 14, 2003.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have now tried about everything in the book to try to get rid of this sound that sounds like an exaust leak, but now I am not to sure. I cut the header flanges, so they are not warped, new ultra seal header gaskets with MEGA COPPER high temp sealer on them. As for the collecters, dead soft copper gaskets with high temp seal, and still this noise persists. It makes my truck sound like apiece-O-[darn]. could it be anything else?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Run your hand next to it and feel for leaks. Are all the seems welded? A bad weld or crack could be the culprit.

3. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

Alot of hedders come with pin holes in the welds around the tubes.Hard to get to spots usualy

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Are you sure the leak is under the hood? I agree try runnin your hand around the headers where they mate with the engine. Also, it sounds kinda stupid but, look all the way up and down the exhaust system for carbon. If you can see black there's where your leak is. Good luck to ya.

Allan

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

instead of my hand i like 2 use a piece of long heater hose held to my ear and listen for the leak then run it along as those dam headers can get hot quick

6. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

good advice! I just burned the hell out of my pinky