Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sounds like bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Mar 26, 2003.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I've got a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front driverside, mainly on right turns when the weight is on it. I replaced the bearings last year but it never seemed to go away. I jacked that wheel up and checked for play but it all seemed tight.

Could it be my U-joints?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

any info on the truck? Auto hubs maybe? tires rubing?

3. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the wheel bearing is loose.The driver side is known for this the wheel spends in the direction that backs the nut off.I have had this happen. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's possible for the rim to actually rub on the caliper when the bearing gets loose .check asap

5. MontanaLifted

-There is plenty of clearence with my calipers since I went to a 16in rim.
    -I don't have those evil auto locking hubs. And with 4in lift and only 33in tires I have no rubbing.

-It could be possible that it is the bearings but I replaced them last year and when I "field check" it, meaning I just jacked it up and tried wiggling the tire, there is no play that I can notice. Next step is to take it all apart and double check the bearing nut.

-Could this be an axle u-joint gone bad? Or would a u-joint make noise no matter if I'm going straight or turning?

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. MontanaLifted

Info on my rig...

Dana 60 front. Warn heavy duty manual locking hubs. and I have enough clearance that there is no rubbing.

The noise comes even if I'm going straight but I'm tilted to the left putting weight on it. Also when I make right turns. Even gradual turns like an on-ramp to a highway.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i would open up the front end and check everything out.i say this because i just had my front driver side hub blow up because the inner bearing gave out and the hub was riding on the spindle.i wish i would have looked when i started hearing the noise(always worse on a tight right hand turn).i lost everything from the out bearing out.so much for the new hub lockers i just bought 2 weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. MontanaLifted

Damn...I mean damn.

I'll tear into it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this "could" be the axle u-joints???

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if it were ujoints it would be heard while in 4 wheel only.the hub is not locked up in 2 wheel drive and the axle shafts do not turn but just follow the wheel in the same direction of the turn.with mine in 2 wheel drive the driveshaft does rotate a little but not enuf to make the axleshafts turn much.id still bet its the bearings.might not be preloaded enuf or one of them is bad.if you put too much preload on them then it will cause too much stress and heat and also burn up the bearings.i think this is what i did wrong.too much stress when i tightened them too much and fried the inner bearing.off came my hub and luckily the wheel did not fall off with it.just the end past the outer bearing.the bearing nuts kept the outer bearing from slipping off and kept the wheel on but the inner bearing was nuthing but a mess of metal and i had a completely junk hub.i think the caliper was also a factor in the wheel not falling off as it is bolted to the backing plate.