Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Source: deep steel TH350 pans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 2, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm looking for a +2-3 qt TH350 pan in steel with no chrome and no funky tube things. Just a deep steel pan. Does such a thing exist?

On aluminum pans. The adverts speak of increasing the tortional rigidity of the case by using an aluminum pan? Is this a significant amount and worth consideration, or is it hype?

I'm not looking for cooling (other than that provided by extra capacity), IMO the pan is not much use in this respect. What I'm looking for is keeping the pickup submerged until well beyond the point I go over in any direction...

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know of any deep steel pans that aren't [bling] chrome [bling]. I haven't crossed any reports of how much the aluminum pans add strength, but it seems logical that they would (don't know as it is necessary or not, if the case is stout enough I would imagine it is negligeble). What I do know is that the deep aluminum pans do help in cooling if only through extra capacity. The deep pans that are sold for the automatics behind Cummins motors add 4qts capacity and claim that they do more for cooling through capacity than many aftermarket coolers (no brands of coolers mentioned) do with a stock pan. Take it for what it is worth, but I thought I'd let you know.
    Nick

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Turbo 400's came from the factory with a deeper steel pan, and a filter extension tube in 4WD applications. Does anyone know if the Turbo 350 had a similar variation? That would be the easiest setup, to just find one in a junkyard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If you can't find one aftermarket, it wouldn't be too tough to weld one up. Slice a pan in half and then weld in an extra inch or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BadDog

I wasn't aware of the deeper pan. I guess maybe that's why TH400s are known to keep pulling at crazy angles when a TH350 looses pressure. On the welding, I don't think my welding skills (particularly on sheet metal) are sufficient to weld it up without leaks and/or warpage... Sounds like a job for a TIG...

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TIG you say?? We'll have to chat.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Aluminum pan's will dissapate heat faster then steel pan's, just something else to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. BadDog

Thanks anyway but I've seen the one in JCW before, I'm a bit concerned about the quality of that one. Likely pretty weak and I don't like chrome for multiple reasons.

Also, I know that aluminum disipates heat faster. However, from what I've seen the effect is marginal at best. Coolers are for cooling, the added volume helps some too, but the improvements due to an aluminum pan are too small to be of much use. There are 2 primary reasons I don't want aluminum; it will crack when hit and it costs more than I think it's worth. However, that may be what I get if I can't find what I want...

9. rick88blaze

do you come up this way to vegas very much? if you do, there are a few shops here in town that sell those pans also. if you want, i could send you some of there names, and phone #'s. i checked around for a buddy of mine a while back, most of them carry them in stock, i think.

10. BadDog

Hmm, then I should be able to find one locally. I called several shops and suppliers in Phoenix but they generally say "only aluminum" or "only for TH400", etc. Mostly just a random sampling of local shops, I'll keep calling around to see what I can find... If you can PM with some numbers of guys local to you, who you think might have it, that would be great. If I can't find it locally, I may just have to pay one of them to ship. Thanks...

11. rick88blaze

you gotta pm!!

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i feel the aluminum pans with the fins are better. they do cool better, even though i know you said you dont care for that. they are more rigid. yes they are more brittle and will crack before they bend. but if you punch a steel pan yer still going to leak. the alum pan is stronger.

i have only seen chrome pans in larger capacity. i think they do that so the amount of temp the chrome brings the fluid up the extra fluid makes up for it. i think if you want steel you have two options. fut one up and expand it. double welding it inside and out to make sure of no leaks. then sandblast it, clean it aout with isopropal and leak check it before putting it on.

option number two would be buy a chrome one and sand blast the chrome off. im sure somebody has one the chrome is all rusted up on they want to get rid of.

Grant