Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Source for Hummer bead locks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 23, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm looking to buy a set of Hummer Bead Locks soon and have them re-centered. Anyone have a good source for these? I already have a place in mind for the re-centering.

Rene

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

USA6x6 and watch e-bay. I got a pair shipped to my door for $90 off e-bay!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you already have a plac ein mind to do the recentering then I'd watch PBB and ebay for the wheels. If you get them without beadlocks then I'd recommend the PVC ones that Daniel at USA6x6 makes. </font>

4. tRustyK5

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, those are some real quality looking wheels, I saw them on PBB awhile back. If I were you, I would try to get one of the So-Cal CK5ers to find a set of rims and get them to that guy, that way you don't have to pay shipping twice. The Hummer wheels seem to be fairly abundant in So-Cal. </font>

6. tRustyK5

That's a fine idea Evan...I'll post on the So Cal Big Dawgs forum in a month or so when I'm actually ready to buy.

You have a set from Daniel if I'm not mistaken...and I have a few questions./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He uses flat plate for the centers and I don't imagine they're hubcentric. Are the lug holes larger than the wheel lugs and do you still run the lug nuts with the taper inwards? Has anyone had problems with lug nuts backing off at all? Is the PVC bead lock thing a solid alternative to the magnesium runflats?

Rene

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Daniel tapers the holes for regular lugnuts, that was one of my requiremnets when I got these. He claims to have sold over 200 sets of the PVC locks witho0ut any failures, I think that they are a vialble alternative to the rubber ones. I had my choice between rubber and PVC and chose PVC. </font>

8. tRustyK5

Cool. Thanks Evan!

Rene

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Rene, I recently talked to Taylor made wheels and was really happy with what I heard. Myself and 3 others will be taking 4 sets of wheels to them soon. The best price he could give us was $100 a piece for 20 wheels. I asked him if he had gottne a lot of calls form people wanting to do this but he said that the shipping would kill the deal for most. I am only about 20 minutes form him so it worked out good for us. I'll let you know how they come out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. tRustyK5

I wonder if he'd sell just the centers?

Rene

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

He basically told me that If I wanted to buy just the centers it would be the same price. He explained that the centers is the most difficult part of the entire project. Cutting the old centers, cleaning the area to be welded and welding in the new centers is the easy part.

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah the more I hear about it, the more that I'm going to that guy to have my centers done.

Esteban, how soon do you need those 4 tires removed from my hummer wheels? I can prolly get to them tonight if you need em that early.

13. tRustyK5

Well, is he saying his shop time is free and he pays his welder nothing?/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The removal, cleaning and welding may not be rocket science, but time is money and those three steps take time.

Throwing 4 centers in a box and shipping certainly would take less time.

My 2 cents.

Rene

14. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Hoping you guys can help me out. I'm not in the market for Hummer rims, but just curious as to how they work. I've looked at all the articles and done searching, but there are still a few things I'm unclear on.

What I know:
    Rims are 2 piece
    Would have to recenter them to fit on a GM axle
    Built in Beadlock??

What I don't understand:
    What the hell are runflats? I thought the PVC piece that 6x6 made served the purpose as the stock runflat, but I don't even know what purpose that is.
    Then I read that those PVC pieces are the beadlocks. I thought that the outer rim you bolted on served as the beadlock.

Sh!t, I wish I could have one in front of me and figure it out, but that won't happen any time soon. Can anybody give me a quick run down?

Thanks in advance.

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The hummer wheels are two piece. There is a back and a front. These two pieces are held together by either 8 bolts (bias) or 12 bolts (radial). There is a piece in the middle of these two halves that serves as the beadlock/runflat. The PVC piece that Daniel sells is just a beadlock. To install it, you take the back half of the wheel and put the tire on it. Then you put the PVC piece in, the rubber O-ring, then put the outer half on. The PVC piece "pinches" the tire between the two halves, therefore preventing the tire from coming off the bead on both sides of the wheel. A run flat is one of two styles. The first one is a magnesium piece like the PVC piece, only it has a raised metal ring that stands off of it about 5 or 6 inches. After the tire is deflated so far, it contacts this metal ring and keeps the tire from completely going flat. The other style is a rubber run flat. It is the most sought-after. It serves the same purpose as the magnesium one, but doesn't do as much damage to the inside of the tire and probably rides better too.

16. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks Ash.

17. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene,
    Please keep us updated - I am thinking of the same project...

18. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What is the actual width of the rims? I thought they were about 8.25" wide but I saw a FAQ thread on the USA6x6 site that states 9 7/8" wide. Inquiring minds want to know...

Anybody have a pic of a 42" on a Hummer rim? Does it look bad?