Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Source for (true) 6" lift blocks.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Mar 31, 2001.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Source for (true) 6\" lift blocks.

I'm trying to find a set of 6" lift blocks to replace the OE 4-3/4" ones in the back of my Dodge. I usually buy my stuff from 4 Wheel parts here in town, but it seems the biggest they have is a 5-1/2". All the other 4x4 shops in town seem to be the same way. Anyone know where I can find a set? I don't need the U-bolts, just the blocks. I lifted the front 2-1/2" and it sits perfectly level when empty, but I want it to sit a bit ass high. I initially thought I wanted it level, but it turns out what I really wanted was for it to be bigger.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: Source for (true) 6\" lift blocks.

i had a local machine shop make mine.i used 2x4 1/4 box tube w/ 1/4 top&bottom plates.center drilled the top &machined out the bottom pin.they were sweet,and strong.a little pricey tho in '89 it cost me like 75-80 bucks.price it and check.if you have em made you can even have them drill the top hole offset to move your axle,to center the wheels.id go w/2x6 if i ever do it again.the block cant twist if the u bolts are there to stop em.they never twisted out,but all blocks will move a bit.but the price i have shown was the hole deal all the steel machine work and welded.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Pete, I have a few 2x6's laying around, pine I think, I could cut off a few any length you want. [​IMG]
    They would tend to sag a little when they get wet though. [​IMG]
    But on the bright side they would smell real out doorsy. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Pure Insanity

oouch!hey at least they were made by a machine shop.i didnt hack em together myself.not that i would anyhow,even at 16when i built my 1st big truck SAFETY AND QUALITY,were the 1st priority.and BTW i built every bit of it myself,except the rear blocks.they just dont make kits to put a cherokee on 40s.home brew is where this sport started.and the reason i had the blocks fabricated (which was the only mistake i made on the whole project),was they were 8".yeah im takin this personal,i put 100s of hours into that truck,every bit of knowledge i had,thousands of thousands of dollars to break from the cookie cutter fords,cjs,and yes chevrolets that are built.not to mention the sweat blood and my heart i put into it.so if ya wanna rip on somethin look around theres plenty of poorly built hacked up POS on the trails and bogs all the time.lastly if i were to build another cherokee it would be EXACTLY like my last with out the 8"blocks in the rear.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Don't take it personal pureinsanity, I was just giving Pete a hard time for lifting a Dodge, I didn't even read your post. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. Pure Insanity

i appologize then.im sorry.it just struck me the wrong way.

PURE INSANITY

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Steve, are they pressure treated? If not, it could be a serious safety consideration. [​IMG]

I did actually think about making some blocks out of tube steel, but would prefer to have solid ones. Sure wish those dummies at Dodge hadn't used factory blocks (I've never seen them on a Chevy), this thing already has pretty bad axle wrap with a brass clutch and a 5 spd, but I really don't want to mess around with new springs.

One of the reasons for lifting the Dodge is so the ass end isn't dragging the ground with the Blazer in tow. Just bought an 18', 10k flatbed car hauler last week.

Pure insanity, I'll vouch for Steve on this one, his rip was directed entirely at me. BTW Steve, how's the flatbed coming?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

8. Pure Insanity

ya i know.i guess i shoulda thot before i started poundin the keyboard.actually i went back to delete it and seen he already found it,before i came to my senses.at least i kept my composure enuff to not tweak the administrater,and get banned,i love this site!i caught alotta flack over the cherokee becuz it wasnt the norm.i started builing it at 15(not 16)and finally got it done at almost 21.a smart comment and testosterone in a can usually caused me to do somethin outrageos to prove its worth.ie.smoke up the 40 hawgs,powerslide a turn on dry asphault(almost lost it 1 time) street race anything(my favorites were 5.0 mustangs) and im proud to say the jeep was undefeated!!!ETC.now that its gone,i still get wound up about it.i wish i still had it.i sold it to a bud w/ the agreement i got 1st dibbs on it,when he sold it i didnt have the cash to buy it back for about a week,he couldnt wait,he was laid off and about to lose his new house.so i had no hard feelins even tho i let him pay on it over a few months.last i heard it was parted out(sniff sniff)once again ,im sorry i jumped the gun.im buildin the blazer to meet or exceed the jeep,just 9 yrs later and no courage in a can,to do dumb stuff on the roads,or off,for that matter.

PURE INSANITY

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What about overload springs or airbags?

I just think the 6" block is too much.....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I had thought about these options. The truck has factory overloads (currently removed), they don't effect ride height any. The truck already rides like a brick sh!t house; I run empty 95% of the time and really don't want to add any more spring rate. Same problem with airbags.

I might try calling the Dodge dealer, some early 90's trucks had 6" OE blocks. Will have to measure my coworker's '93 250 to see if they are a full 6".

Pete