Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Source for wire spools of "OEM" GM colors.....????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Source for wire spools of \"OEM\" GM colors.....????

I've been "Googling" but haven't found a source yet. Looking for places to get the wire in OEM-style color combinations:

Examples:

B = Black
    B/LG = Black with Light Green Stripe
    B/W = Black with White Stripe
    BRN = Brown
    BRN/W = Brown with White Stripe
    DBL = Dark Blue
    LBL = Light Blue
    DG = Dark Green
    LG = Light Green
    OR = Orange
    PPL = Purple
    PPL/W = Purple With White Stripe
    P = Pink
    R = Red
    T = Tan
    GY = Gray
    W = White
    W/OR/PPL = White with Orange and Purple Stripes
    Y = Yellow

20GA, 18GA, 16GA, 14GA should cover most things I'm seeing in the schematics.

If I'm going to go the the trouble of re-wiring things, I'd REALLY like to use the original colors so that it's easier to debug and understand from then on....

Any sources that you guys are aware of???

Thanks!

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Source for wire spools of \"OEM\" GM colors.....????

Painless Performance looks to have the best selection of OEM stuff I have found..
    Wire
    Hope it helps,
    John

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://painlessperformance.com/harness8.htm

Painless has a complete wiring harness for the whole truck.. I think it is already stock color coded but you might want to check into that..
    I would think a complete aftermarket harness would be much less of a headache and cheaper than buying rolls of each of the color coded wire and starting from scratch... Props if you wire the whole truck from scratch, but that has got to take forever.

4. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    http://painlessperformance.com/harness8.htm

Painless has a complete wiring harness for the whole truck.. I think it is already stock color coded but you might want to check into that..
    I would think a complete aftermarket harness would be much less of a headache and cheaper than buying rolls of each of the color coded wire and starting from scratch... Props if you wire the whole truck from scratch, but that has got to take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,

I think we've all heard the stories about the "Painful Wiring" harnesses.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Too generic, and don't really match the OEM setup. I really like the fact that they DO offer all the factory colors (even the striped ones!) so for the new '64 truck project, I can buy the colors I need and replace the horrific bundle of wire under the dash and everywhere else....

You know me Ryan, I'll take any opportunity to do something "the right way" even if it takes longer and costs more.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd check out some electronics suppliers...

Both www.galco.com and www.newark.com carry colored wire...
    but as far as colored with a white stripe..that may be hard to find..

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I built a complete wiring harness from scratch for a 1960 GMC once. You can re-use the plastic connectors and just replace the metal terminals inside them. All the little metal terminals were still available from the chevy dealer not too long ago (maybe 2 years ago).

Just lay the old harness out on a piece of plywood and put nails in at each junction to mark the spot and measure everything up before stripping it down. Only took me about 2-3 months working on it every other night or so during the week (hour or two max each night).

7. Greg72

Kenny,

What did you use for the outer wrapper?

Didn't the factory use a plastic (adhesive free) tape....I think it's called "Compression Tape"? Somehow the stretching "activates" it. The details are sketchy, but I thought I remembered hearing/reading something along those lines in my travels. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just used a lot of zip ties spaced every 3-4" on the inside harness and spiral wrap for the under hood harness. Turned out great and was easier to trouble shoot the wires if there was a problem (rather than having a mile of tape to unwrap).

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I make a harness... which is rare these days... I usually use a braided loom inside a factory-style loom. When it's inside the vehicle I just use the braided stuff. It's hard to find OE quality loom though.

For wire... I usually hit up a junkyard and pull the harness out of a big car like a Cadillac or Park Avenue. They have a really long harness that starts at the left front tire, goes across the bulkhead, follows the passenger floor, and stops behind the rear seat at all the computers. It takes a lot of work to get the harness out but you end up with a shitload of long high-quality unmolested wire.

They do make self-bonding tape that only sticks to itself. I've never found any that say they're rated for high temperatures though. Beats me, I kind of gave up on it. GM makes those nifty connectors for holding split loom together at "T"s and I just use those. Otherwise I shrink-tube the wires if they're going to be exposed.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Waytek
    they will send you a free massive catalogue

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't the factory use a plastic (adhesive free) tape....I think it's called "Compression Tape"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could check out Eastwood; I recall seeing both cloth and plastic wiring harness tape in their catalog before.

BUT, if it were my project to do, I'd do as Kenny said and zip-tie every 3-4", and spiral-wrap at chafe points.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

or, if like me you end up putting wires in place, then adding, subtracting, or re-routing wires, you can go to the wrecking yard, and grab many many MANY of the clamps GM used for the convoluted tubing. Not necessarily the ones with the post to stick through a hole, there are ones that serve no other purpose but to hold the loom shut, typically at the termination of the loom at the connector.

If you look around, you will find "T's" that do the same as the above, but keep the wiring "hidden" where you need to have wires depart from the trunk. I personally don't like the mass of tape at junctions that sometimes was factory.

If going for factory look, if none of the other suggestions work, I *guarantee* a large corvette supply place will have EXACTLY what GM used. Although it may be the EXACT texture of tape used on an individual year Corvette. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i did my 73 with painless it rocked, really easy to do

14. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status