Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Source of water in cab other than windshield?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If water shows up on the passenger side floor by the tranny hump only when it rains, even when truck is parked, is there any other possible source of the leak besides the windshield? TIA!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You may have to lift your carpet and check that the seal on the doghouse panel isn't ruptured causing water to seep past it when you drive in the rain.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

top of the list is still windshild. The windshield in our trucks are held in with a rubber gasket. Well the sun and age do them in. What your likly to find is at the corners at the top of the windsheild is cracks in the rubber. what will happen is water and if your in the rust belt salty water will get under the gasket and there is a gap under there. it will make it's way around and sit at the bottom and form rust. Then you get a hole and a leak into the interrior behind the dash.
    Another place that you have problems is in the cowel box. Since you have a 76 your going to have to pull the hood off to be able to access it. Take those plastic grill covers off at the base of the windsheid and start looking in the cavity under them. Crud collects in there and traps moisture. Rust forms and you can get a rust hole into the cab at the fire wall. There is also a intake under there for the outside air for the HVAC on the passengerside. Sometimes the seals fail there and you can get some leaks.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Paul! Currently the interior's gutted - bare to the firewall. What's a doghouse panel?

BTW, it's leaking when it's parked. I found the water after it rained and it was pooling on the floor towards the hump, not the door.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, on the ball. You posted exactly what I was gonna!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grimmy, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. I pulled the dashpad today and the insulating material isn't stained anywhere where I can see it. So I was a little confused as if it was the windshield I expected to see some evidence of water inside the truck just below the windshield seal or something inside the dash that would indicate water damage. Of course I could be wrong about that...

I'm going to replace the windshield seal anyway, so that it wouldn't be a source, but if the problem is elsewhere I don't want to miss it.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I probably used the wrong term for it, but it's the panel that is bolted to the tranny hump.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul. I understand. Looks OK to me but will check it in better light tomorrow. Thanks for the help.