Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

South carolina guys, does the sport die young, there?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Mar 29, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

a coworker from our south carolina branch just informed me that in sc, only highschool kids go wheeling. and was surprised that someone my age is into it. that doesn't sound quite right to me. what about generations x, y, and the baby boomers? anyone testing out a new hip on the trail (haha, sorry). speak up and let us know that the sport doesn't die at 18 over there.

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hunting and fishing doesn't die. Most Sandlappers go to work or college after high school so the desire/cost of getting caught trespassing is less interesting.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've had a lot of people tell me the samething around here. They don't really know the sport. They think of high school kids with their stock height pickups and off brand all terrains. Most people are floored when they see pictures of my S10 and don't even begin to understand whats going on with it, ha.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think of it oppositely now, I asked a few young checkins the other day if "any of them were in to four wheel drive and wheeling." One kid responded "Yeah, I'm buying a xterra", I laughed he walked out.:haha:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's the same everywhere. And when I was up that way, I don't remember any 18yo's with serious rigs.

6. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd have to say around here it's mainly 18-25 and just muddin and mall crawlers. Most have never played on rocks.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

oh, come on. that's quite a rig. it will get him across the grass median at the mall parking lot. ha.

we're into something that most people just don't understand. they talk like offroading is a waste of money and something irresponsible kids do until they outgrow it. that's insane:screwy:. i've been playing golf since the 1980s. i guess i should have outgrown that, too. ha. with my birthday coming on sunday, i'm feeling sort of old. old enough that a good birthday means hanging out with a few friends at our favorite bar, laughing at people that say stupid things about offroading. ha.

btw, i don't hate highschool kids. i just don't want to be lumped with them. college was much better.

8. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

Mostly mud here,Im 32 and didnt get into wheeling until I was 28.I raced late-model Mustangs from the time I was 17 until I was 28.Even now I have never been on any rocks just mud.Thats all about to change as I have plans to visit URE couple times this year and get some seat time on the rocks.Alot of guys around here build their rigs for hunting and playing in the mud.Most of the teens are into the import scene.