Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Southern Va

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by AkMudr, Dec 31, 2004.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Anyone within reason of Va Beach/ Hampton/Newport news or even Richmond?

Lookin for people to go out wheelin with and maybe swap parts.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Im in Richmond....Theres a guy from the beach on here...

3. 87sickboy

87sickboy Registered Member

Close

Say is it VA Beach area you live in?I live in chesapeake, always look'n to swap parts/help or get help with my blazer. Not realy ready for mud yet, I had to put a new rear end in and the gears do not match the fronts, so some day soon I'll fix that.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Whats yer name sickboy? We might know eachother. I know a few folks down in Chesapeake...particularly one with a Blazer who just did soem rear end work.

I'm up in Hampton.

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I'm out here in the Deep Creek section of Chesapeake.

6. 87sickboy

I am close

Hey Jims70k25 I live about 10 min from you I am in norfolk highlands-sounds like you have some nice toys!!! I am running a 87 k-5,6" lift 35's,350, cowl hood, soon to be doing new seats, there realy gone.
    whats your story?

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Sickboy what kinda gears YOU lookin to get into? i know of a d44 front with 4.10's. Also a buddy of mine does alot of axle/suspension work, lots of custom stuff but mainly steering upgrades. I'll be down in Chesapeaske Saturday if you guys wanna hit up Hooters on Battlefield BVD.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

My story...

Work in the Navy Yard in Portsmouth. Had an 85 K5 had to get rid of it because of my first wife. Bought my 70 GMC from my neighbor about 5 years ago, bought the 71 in Feb of last year, because I had planned on taking the GMC off the road for some extensive body work. That might all change as I'm looking at a 1970 C50 dump w/ 2 spd rear axle. Trying to get lockers in both my trucks. The GMC has a power lock which is ok but still slips. The 71 has an eaton rear axle and the only lockers available are used detroits. I might see if 14BFF axles and detroit will fit in the eaton carrier. I'd have a locker in the GMC if the power lock wasn't there as the lock-rite for a dana 60 is strong, and I only have 35" tires. Sold the C30 to a buddy of mine out in Va Beach.
    This damn cold weather sucks.

9. 87sickboy

gears

I have 3:73 up front and now 3:42 in back:frown1: I like 3:73 seems like a good gear in terms of power and gas so I think I'll stay with 3:73, changing gears is above my skills as of now and I hate to pay shops out here cause there rate is out the door and most don't just do a few things they all do everything, I come from MI and there great shops for folks like us:cool1: I pm you about saturday:D

10. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

gearing

I'm running 4.10s w/35s in one truck and 4.56s w/35s in another. I like the 4.10s myself for all around driving. What places have you talked with about installing the gears?

11. 87sickboy

standard truck parts off of mil highway, they said 400-600$ to change the gears in a 10 bolt:mad: I just can not find shops for stuff like this that are fare in price.

12. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Standard Parts is good in some areas, a co-worker paid almost $1000 to have gears replaced in a dodge van. Have you called production off-road or pro trucks?

13. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

You need gears done just gimme the say so, I know a guy who will do the work and even get you the parts if you need. Say the word and it's done. Prices are very respectable...I think he does gears for $300 an axle plus parts but don't hold me to it.

I mean anythin, gears, lockers, any axle parts, anythin made out of DOM tubing, bumpers, cages, rock sliders, skid plates, ANYTHING steering related, some machine work, rear disc kits and a bunch of other stuff...anythin crazy custom!!

Best part is, hes right in Chesapeake.

P.S. You fella's ever hit the V.M.P. mudogs up in Petersburg?

14. 87sickboy

off road shops

I realy think all these 4x4 shops out here are for folks who can spend 40,000$ on a new 4x4 then still have cash to pay a shop to lift it and do everything else and there prices are a bit high, most of the stuff like 90% you get off line is cheaper, granted it's nice there close but I would rather pay a person who is working on the side or has a small shop and maybe I could work with them to learn what they are doing to my truck!

15. 87sickboy

Your hook up

AKMUDR, thats good to know, with in the next couple of months I will be looking for a new bumber something real sick looking and I am still on my quest for a 14ff one that needs to be bulit. So ya some day I would like to meet this pale of yours.

16. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

No prob. We frequent Hooters on Battlefield and durin the summer the mud bogs in Petersburg. We are planning a Corolla trip once my lift is on if yer down with that.

17. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I definetly agree, everything I've purchased for my trucks has been on-line new or used. Have not had to get gears done though, finding a local to do it would be better.

18. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'll be down at his place next weekend putting my fuel tnak if, weather pending, and after that we will prolly go to Hooters if you fellas wanna plan somethin.