Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Southernspeed and other MC guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Oct 7, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because of gas and my now longer commute, I now have a plausible excuse for my wife and I am looking for a bike. Specifically, I have been looking at sport bikes in the 650 cc range. I haven't ridden much since school (12 years), but don't think that will be a problem as i have a straight commute with little traffic.

A few questions - How comfortable is a sportbike for 15 miles one way and the occsiaional 2 hour trip? I remember mine (Ninja) being great, but I was in my early 20's and I remember many things being great then that I would rather not do now.

I am looking at used bikes - what should I look for and how many miles is acceptable. Are there makes/models/things to stay away from or that are better? I don't need the fastest thing running, but do need something reliable.

Something like this is what I have been looking at. (just an example because its close to me.)

Any help/advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I have been over at www.sportrider.com and most of the time thier message board is active. You may try there. Is 5500 a little high for a 91 model? I think is what that link said it was. Alot of people like the f4 though. It is supose to be real comfortable though from what i hear. At my cost though through yamaha i can get a yzfr6 for around 6300 in my driveway. A few at work got some vstar1100 customs for under 5000 as a demo. I have looked around and a 2-3 year old bike can be got alot of times at our cost. This is of course not the same with high demand scooters like the r6. But like the 600r if we get one and don't sell it right after the year we are supose to keep it then it is hard to get our money back out of it.
    I am not sure how long after the production of a product that you must be able to supply service parts. When we scrap a mold that made some part 10 years ago that means that there will be no more made ever. So be careful if getting a model that is one of the last ones of a particular style.
    I know several people with well over 30000 on thier bikes of all brands with no signs of any problems and just done rotine maintenance.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I can't tell you much with any authority, being pretty new to MC's myself, and I can tell you even less about sport bikes... But I am interested in the replies to this thread...
    That being said... I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, a cruiser, and I *love* it. Last two days of rain, I'm just waiting for a tiny break and want to run out and ride around the block real quick... :rotfl:
    I think I'm still in the beginner euphoria of MCing, so I can't tell so much if it's love for the bike or the sport right now...
    I haven't ridden it on any long strait rides yet, I have a lot of stop and go on my commute ride, which gives me a lot of opportunity to readjust and stretch often. On nights when I've gone out and just ridden for hours, my bike has been extremely comfortable, but I've gotten a headache from the wind and noise at times, usually in high humidity. I'm looking at new bikes, and Vulcan 750's keep grabbing my eye. I've never read bad things about them (except that the stator's are $1k to replace).
    So anyway... I'm thinking when I get to do my 40-mile strait highway commute, I'm going to enjoy it and I expect to be comfortable on this bike.

A sport bike I would imagine being more active and less comfortable on single position long rides. I don't know squat and have never even sat on one, though, so that's pure talking from ignorance...:shocked:

Whoops... TO actually answer and contribute... I have seen the same thing as Ronny, bikes with high miles that look like they just rolled out of the showroom, then there are bikes like mine with 14k that have some rust and are banged up and needing electrical work... I'm guessing from small observation, but it seems to me that mileage on a bike means less than the previous owners personalities and maintenance styles. My brother just bought two early 80's Suzuki's with 23000-24000 miles, and they're gorgeous.
    Of course, a bike with like 5000 miles is probably going to be in much better shape than one with higher miles, but I think it's better to look for "original owners" that are selling. I've thinking when a bike has gone through several owners, it's become a training bike... But again, these are all just things I'm seeing as I get involved with the culture, there may be more to it than I'm thinking...

4. gauder

gauder Banned

I hate Japan ( not really but we need to protect to North American Economy)!!!! If it's not for speed, buy an old BSA or something.

Don't support them Commie Bastards, LOL, hahahahahahahahahaa.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

maintenance and up kep mean alot more than miles. Have friends with all kinds from harleys to honda vtx to yzfr6. And any could tell you that up keep is everything. The only one that i know that was not happy with thiers bought it from a large used bike shop and had several problems one after the other. It was an older fz600 i believe.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get ya a Sportster.....................ten years from now it will be worth more than it is now, and you may like it so much ya still won't sell it.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

HD is a little out of the budget right now. I did look at a honda Shadow 750 ACE yesterday. It was nice and looked very comfortble. I really can't make up my mind, but I have started leaning more toward a cruiser.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't go wrong with a Honda. Sad but a fact of life. Reliable, well made and comfortable. Just get on and ride. The CBR 600 is prob one of the most user friendly sports bikes made.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

A friend bought a 2001 sporster 883 for $4000 last week. It does have 30000 miles but runs like new and has alot of extras. It also has all the service records and the shop that has done all the work is close to here.

That is about as cheap as i saw any hd around, short of basket case from the 70's.

10. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

You could also look into the sport touring bikes. I had a VFR 800 that was a wonderful mile burning bike. Very comfortable and had all the sportiness that you could use on the street. Also look into the Suzuki SV 650. They usually are not too expensive and have good ergonomics. Watch out for ragged out older sport bikes. That price for the F4i seemed too high. I have seen newer bikes go for less in the area. Good luck.