Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Southernspeed, give it up!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Spoof penalty tickets spook 4x4 owners

19 June 2006 [​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]LONDON: The grimace may be real as the "parking ticket" is peeled from the windscreen, but it soon becomes clear the penalty notice is a fake.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Drivers of huge Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) in some of London's more fashionable areas are being targeted by Blake Ludwig and like-minded environmental campaigners who hope to make it socially unacceptable to drive the 4x4s on city streets. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"These gas-guzzling off-roaders have no place in the city and our 'parking tickets' are a light-hearted way of trying to show drivers just how damaging their vehicles are," Ludwig, a 46-year-old information technology consultant said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]At first glance the parking tickets from the Alliance Against Urban 4x4s look convincing, but closer inspection reveals some differences. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Instead of imposing the usual fine, the tickets read: "Do Not Pay Now. Our children and grandchildren will pay for our dependence on fossil fuels." On the reverse are government statistics about the fuel economy and carbon emissions of various best-selling off-roaders and how they compare with a typical family car. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Driving a 4.25km per litre 4x4, or a large luxury car, compared with a 9km per litre saloon car wastes more energy in one year than leaving the fridge door open for seven years, Los Angeles-born Ludwig said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We recognise there are people, like farmers, with a legitimate reason to use these vehicles, but the reality is that only five per cent ever leave the tarmac," he said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Urban 4x4s are mockingly called "Chelsea tractors" by their British critics, after the upmarket London district where they are especially popular. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Britain's Energy Minister Malcolm Wicks said earlier this year: "There is a crass irresponsibility in some of the larger monstrosities people drive around suburbia and in London." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]SAFETY CONCERNS [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Many SUV drivers cite safety concerns as a reason for buying the big, expensive vehicles, believing bigger is safer – a scenario Ludwig characterises as an "automotive arms race." "I prefer driving one of these. I can see the road better and I feel safer," said Michelle, a mother-of-two, who did not want to give her last name. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]While she conceded she would not consider taking her Toyota Landcruiser off-road, she defended her right to drive whatever vehicle she wanted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"It is very handy with the kids and all their belongings and we've no intention of getting rid of it," she said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Britain's Transport Research Laboratory says the growing number of off-roaders has coincided with an increase in the number of small cars on the road, prompting a mismatch in any collision between the two. The fatality rate for occupants of the smaller vehicle is 12 times that for the larger vehicle. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]But statistics for the typical family saloon make different reading. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The European New Car Assessment Programme, which carries out crash tests, found many 4x4s offer no more protection to occupants than the saloons. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]And most 4x4s score badly in terms of pedestrian safety. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Institute of Advanced Motorists has called for parents driving large 4x4s to be extra careful on the school run. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"While any car is potentially lethal if driven badly, it has to be said the handling characteristics and the weight and size of these 4x4s together pose a potential road safety risk when there are child pedestrians around," IAM Chief Examiner Bryan Lunn is quoted as saying on the Institute's Web site. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]But whatever the pros and cons, SUV ownership is booming in Britain. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Over the last five years, registrations of 4x4s have risen by more than 40 per cent, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT). The overall rise of vehicle registrations has been about 10 per cent. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]For Ludwig and others like him striving to rid urban streets of 4x4s, the best hope is for a change in fashion. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"Many 4x4s are bought to show off their owners' wealth, they are a fashion statement, a status symbol," he said. "The campaign is all about informing people and hopefully making it socially unacceptable to drive these vehicles on busy city streets." [/FONT]

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Fantastic......................another self proscribed savior of humanity. :doah:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

No ****?!

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Great...LA has exported another one of their nutjobs.

5. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah I've heard of this nutbar and his croanies. He'd better be able to run fast if I catch sticking a ticket on me or he'll be walking funny 'till he manages to 'retrieve' it!
    Anyway.....I don't live in a fashionable London suburb!:D

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Just leave a good old fashioned tire print on his hood.;)

8. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I'm going to open my frig door just to piss him off!!!

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

those enviro-chumps can kiss my brown star.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

They did an episode with this on it on southpark...

What give them the right to tell anyone what they should drive:rolleyes: (unless its a 17 yr old white kid with a dropped/primed 4 differant wheels/ rap blasting no curve to the brim of his cocked hat in a honda)