Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spacer for TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Magnus88, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

Got my first Chevy Blazer a few months ago and i´m starting to think about getting som more power. I´ve herd that a spacer for the throttle body could be a good idea to start with. Sice this is my first project of this sort i´d love some comments on this. Is this the way to go, or can i get more power a lot cheaper and/or easier in another way?

Magnus
    Sweden

Standard (for now) 88' Blazer w 350 TBI

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

A TBI spacer will help with your low end power. Get a K/N Filter charger and some flowmasters. If you want cheap power go with NOS. If you got the motivation find some vortec heads at the scrap yard and throw those on along with the correct vortec intake. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I run the TBI spacer (goes in between the intake manifold and TBI body) from cfm-technologies which can be found at this site TBI spacer .
    I also run the Alcone Engineering AEI air filter assembly which has a built-in air horn to facilitate air flow. The air filter assembly is made out of aluminum so it looks good, and performs great. You will feel a difference in power just with this air filter assembly alone.
    Another easy bolt-on is the TBI injector spacer (goes between injectors and TBI body) from Turbo City . I didn't feel much difference with the injector spacer, but I'm sure it must help a little.

4. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Take a look at this site they have a lot of info on tbi mods.

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/

Someday I might do the tbi mods they have listed
    I would think they would make the tbi have more hp and maybe better mileage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Walk over to the toilet, toss in $90, press the flush lever. You'll get just about the same result as if you spent $90 on a throttle body spacer. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If it was that easy to make more power, GM could have easily made the intake manifold a bit taller. They spend millions of dollars each year on engine research and I seriously doubt that they would leave something that easy on the table.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You really think that? I mean I am not saying your wrong but racers have known for years that high rise manifolds help power production. Though these are designed as being taller and giving a more direct fuel air flow. In case you never noticed they were never in the business of making top performance engines for trucks. All it would take is a $100 slight lift cam to make a few extra ponies but they never did that in trucks did they?

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I gotta disagree with you. They do work. I have seen the dyno results. 10 whole HP!!. I think GM has to walk a thin line on many things. The problem is with more power comes more emmissions. The basic TBI system doesn't handle extra emmission very well. There are many things that can be done with these engines, That GM didn't do. They waited until the newer injection systems came out. laptop performance tuning!! Not easily done with aged computers! I have used various spacers on race engines to "fine tune" performnce. with a typical holley type spacer, you can increase torque by using the 4 hole design. or change engine torque rpm a couple hundred RPM by using an open style spacer.

8. bablazer73

They do work altough performance gains are minimal. I plan on putting one on my 87 in the spring when I finally get around to doing my fall tune up!!

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I could show you dyno results that would prove installing new floor mats added 10 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Unless I was present for the entire test, I know that it's too easy to fudge the numbers just a bit on a dyno run. Those stupid info-mercials on TV show a dyno test that "proves" adding their miracle-crap to the oil added 20 HP at the wheels of a V6 powered car. Sorry, but I'm not biting on that hook either. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Drag racers play with carb spacers, as in some instances they can make a slight improvement at very high RPM. But I've seen test reports of several different carb spacers on different high performance engines (we're talking full-on drag racing engines). Some engines gained a few HP with a spacer, while others actually lost a few. It all depends on a lot of different variables of the particular engine combo.

Stock engines have to pass very stringent EPA emissions test cycles, which really limits what the factory can do with cams. The cam is the major impediment to airflow in a stock engine and getting more air to flow through the engine is limited by the valve timing and lift.

Also, have you noticed that a carb spacer costs around $20, but for some reason a TBI spacer costs around $90? Do ya think it really costs $70 more to make the TBI spacer? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's your $90, so blow it if you want, but other than a possible placebo effect, I think you'll be disappointed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You'd get a lot more bang for the buck by spending just a few dollars more for a slightly hotter cam. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I disagree too Harry. Spacers are not junk The TBI spacer does work. HP gains are minimal but it does help build torque sooner in the RPM band by increasing air velocity at low RPM. This gives better off idle throttle responce and can help a little in fuel MPG.
    Drag racers have been using spacers to fine tune their cars for many many years. They dont really add HP they just change RPM where you start building torque It can make a difference on diferent tracks where in the RPM band your engine starts building torque.
    All the after market manifolds for TBI are higher than stock.
    I like Turbo citys spacers. They are cheaper than the other ones. They are stackable and tuneable to your particular engine. and in my opinion because of their open design work better than some of those latecomers with fancy names like "Power Tower". The 1/2 " spacer works good in a stock 350 and doesn't mess up the TV cable as bad as some of the 1" spacers.
    However theTV cable still must be adjusted even after adding 1/2" height to the TB. This is critical if you want your 700r4 to last.
    With a spacer, he best results are realised with good exhaust.
    With the stock exhaust I doubt a spacer helps much. Adding air velocity on the intake side wont do much good if you cant get burned gasses out the pipe.
    In my opinion anyones first performance engine modification should be the Exhaust system.
    Instead of a spacer.Spend the money on a good set of headers and a high flow exhaust like a flowmaster force system before doing mods to your TBI/intake.
    The Velocity stack and the injector spacer are also very good mods to TBI. Much better than just a spacer.

11. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

Thank you all for sharing your knowlege. Since the spacers i have found here in Sweden cost about 250$ i think i will go with something else, like headers, to start with. It seems the small gain in preformance hardly matches up to the cost in this case.

Magnus

12. bablazer73

OH!! i definetly agree on the "cost factor" I have a chunk of hardwood in my celler and many a night while watching tv considered carving one out!! I believe that the cam is the "heart" of the engines performance, but not everybody wants to or can tear into their engine to throw a cam in. This is one reason why "bolt on" items are popular.
    I dont believe "all the hype" on many products out there. I had a chance when I was racing/building cars to work it a buddy's engine shop. He has an engine dyno. We played with alot of different things. yes, sometimes spacers will hurt performance. but that depends on the engine and whats in it. Thats why i said FINE tune. sometimes no spacer is needed. I rebuilt the engine on my other 87 blazer and we used his dyno to play. He was playing with a electronic hilborn injection system and used my engine to to play on. But we did use my injection system and run it. There was a difference. In my opinion, they work. can i completely justify cost??? thats for each of us to decide. If this truck didn't already have a new GM engine in it, I would consider a cam. but just don't want to tear into it now.

13. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Click for more info on spacer plates Spacer Plate /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got mine as a gift sp $$$ didnt really effect me. I like mine with the combo of an open element K&N and new flowmaster I could definetly feel a difference. Plus it makes a cool whistle noise at about 3500 RPM. (cheap Turbo LOL)