Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spanish speakers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 20, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

For those of you who have learned the spanish language, how hard is it to learn?

I want to learn how to speak it, read it, and write it. I can't take it through highschool, but thought about looking into the courses at our college. Also, I have the option of doing it through correspondance, which I teach myself with material they give me.

I took french during grade 8 and grade 9 and disliked it, so I am not continuing on with that.

Suggestions, comments, concerns?

Steve

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its not very hard to learn. Spanish is a language like french so it uses some of the same rules. You may not like spanish either for the same reason

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You can't take in school??? they had better change that, because as soon as they are done with us,,,,,they will continue to move north...:rolleyes:

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Spanish is probably the easiest language to learn for English speakers because it is Latin based, as is most of English (but not all). The Spanish alphabet is very close to the same as the English alphabet. The rolling "R" is probably one of the hardest things for an English speaker to learn in Spanish.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

RRRRrrruffles have RRRRrrridges!

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I took 3 years of spanish in highschool, and I dont know a damn word of it now. Had sucky teachers all but 1 year, so it made it that much worse.

I remember one of my teachers told me to lose my southern accent so I could speak it better, I looked her square in the eye and said, "What accent?" She gave up on me after that.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I learned basics with a set of CD's so that I could find a bathroom, hotel, etc. Not hard at all, but I wold not think that they would be any good for anything more advanced.

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I took 5 years of spanish, and I guess I could consider myself sorta semi-fluent. It's really not a hard language to learn if you really try to learn it. I wish I had payed more attention when I was taking it. If you can get the whole grammar part down (mostly different tenses) then it's cake. Vocabulary is pretty easy, a lot of the words are similar to English.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a pretty useful language to know....

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Learn Japanese first, then we can go to Okinawa and buy $80 watermelons and laugh

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

in 8th grade i had a semester of spanish...barely learned any of it I couldnt get the hang of it, then we had a semester of German I caught on to that way better for some reason, same teacher. But Highschool came the next year and I got to chose my electives. I began choosing Ag and Shop classes over forgein language and the elective english classes, I beleive I came out ahead on the deal.

The highschool spanish teacher wasnt very ... motivated to teach i was told, supposedly like 3 days a week they would watch disney movies in spanish.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Easiest foreign language to learn out of the lot. If you put some serious effort into speaking it I'd say one year at most to have a firm grasp on the meat of it.

Best thing you can do Steve is go down to Mexico and declare war in the name of Canada. That'll put you on a quick learning curve. Via con Dios amigo. :thumb:

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't say I'm a Spanish speaker, but I do know a little. I studied pretty hard before I went on my trip last year. I wish I had someone to talk to because I've forgotten a lot already.

What I did was start with a book/CDs, then took a class, then started studying phrases and common sentences.

13. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Watch Telemundo :D

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

find someone to speak it with...this is important. i can read spanish all day long but when it comes to having a conversation, i may as well not know a word of the language.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

We will close the southern border, then they will build boats and sail up the shore and come in through Canada.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Learning to speak Spanish is easy. We got 12 million+ illiterate dumb ass people here in America who can speak it fluently.

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I took Spanish classes all through school and remembered nothing but numbers to twenty and hello, goodbye, and I don't like that...

very very very few words...

I've been learning from a guy at work, though, and it's coming really easy to me the way I'm learning this time :)

It's not a hard language, you just have to be able to remember words and find a method that will make it stick...

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It's offered at my school, I just can't fit it into my timetable.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know a couple people who have learned(sounds ackward) spanish and so once I learn, I will speak with them I suppose.

Thanks guys and gals

19. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Dam, I thought their was some new audio equipment out.....oh well.

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its real easy to learn, get a job where you are surrounded by hispanics, thats how I have learned for the most part.